Author Topic: Avast Program Update Messing up XP System  (Read 2768 times)

bellhopper

Avast Program Update Messing up XP System
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:59:15 AM »
I am using Windows XP Home. Yesterday I installed an Avast program update.  It asked me to restart the computer. I declined since I was going to be shutting down the computer for the day fairly soon anyway.  Turns out I fell asleep and never did shut down the computer.  My wife used the computer this morning and she may have installed an AVS update (she doesn't quite remember) before the update had fully took, since the computer hadn't been rebooted. .  I don't know if this is what messed something up, but when I restarted the computer this morning there were no icons the system tray and no apps would load. I was able to get into task manager>processes.  I suspected the problem might be a with  the Avast update, I attempted to end the Avast processes that were listed there. Access was denied. I was also unable to do a proper shutdown.  I rebooted to safe mode and restored the system to a point before the program update.

That fixed it, and the computer was working normally.  I went ahead and updated the Avast program update, rebooted and had the exact same problem-- no icons in system tray, not app loading. Again I had to restore the system to get it functioning properly. So it looks like it was the Avast update that is causing this problem.

I have scanned my computer with Avast and it comes out clean.

Should my next step be to repair the Avast installation? Or should I uninstall in safe mode and reinstall Avast? Or something else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Program Update Messing up XP System
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:32:53 AM »
avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

If none of the above are applicable, then a clean reinstall would probably be best, as a step back with system restore can produce unexpected results.

Download the latest version of avast (if you didn't save it before) http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bellhopper

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:08:00 AM »
I went ahead and uninstalled Avast in safe mode and reinstalled with latest version as you suggested.  I figured anything less probably wasn't going to work as the problem was much worse than  just having no Avast icon in the system try.  I could not open any applications and could not shut down the computer. In other words, it was more or less hosed.

Anyway, everything is working fine now.  I really appreciate your help.

You asked what other antimalware app I had running.  I am very careful about what programs I install, and I run my browser and email program sandboxed using a program call Sandboxie, so I'm not too worried about malware.  Just in case, I do run a couple of non-realtime free antimalware apps, but they are not running unless I load them, so they shouldn't be interfering with Avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »
You're welcome.

It wouldn't hurt to have SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and/or MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) they are both on-demand scanners in the free versions.

Although I don't run Sandboxie, I run all Internet facing programs (browser, email, etc.) under DropMyRights to also limit any potential risk and/or potential for damage, should anything get through my defences.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bellhopper

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:37:13 PM »
SuperAntiSpyware  and MalwareBytes are the two on-demand scanners I'm using. They were recommended, as was Sandboxie, by Gizmo's Tech Support Alert http://www.techsupportalert.com/

It's the best site I've found for freeware recommendations. (And he does list Avast as as one of the Antivirus programs he likes)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
I used to get Gizmo's newsletter up until the merger with Windows Secrets (which I also received), some very good tips, tricks and recommendations.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:12:55 PM by DavidR »

bellhopper

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 07:37:17 PM »
I think you might be mixing up Gizmo's with Fred Langa's newsletter which  did merge with Window's Secrets at least a year ago. I don't think Langa contributes anymore.  Didn't find Windows Secrets nearly as useful--more Vista oriented and I'm still using XP. Finally stopped subscribing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
No mistake, 21 July 2008 - special Announcement email, see image.

Fred Langa is back contributing again.

I too am on XP (Pro SP3), but I find enough to keep my interest.