Author Topic: Log Viewer error message on startup and re-boot of computer.  (Read 7768 times)

W3FSY

Log Viewer error message on startup and re-boot of computer.
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:50:53 AM »
Hello,

This is my first time asking for information. I use the Free Avast! version 4.8.1335 and my AV scan always shows nothing found with a weekly scan done. AV scan was performed yesterday and nothing found.

For about a week now, I've been getting an error message recorded everytime starting up and also on restart of the computer.

The error is tdiUrlBlockCommThread:DeviceloControl. (I think I have it correct.) The error started around the time after I installed MS Window Update KB 960715 on Feb. 11th (Update Roll Up for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP). I have no idea if that is related, but have been receiving the error since then and the Application numbers change each time I reboot  (1792, 1604, 1784, 1592, 1800). I have no idea what "tdi" is. Accessing the Internet does not appear to have changed any.

I have also updated Spybot S.&D. version 1.6.0 to v1.6.2 and separated "Secure Shredder Application" was installed. This was done on Wednesday, Feb. 11th, also. Could it possibly be related to the upgrade of Spybot S.&D. application?

Any information on this "tdi" error message would be appreciated and if it is of concern. Tyvm

Eminem

Re: Log Viewer error message on startup and re-boot of computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:56:07 AM »
this site will tell you about deviceio control function: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363216(VS.85).aspx

However, i don't know what that error means sorry.

Eminem

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:58:30 AM »
maybe you could try uninstalling the windows update to see if it was related or try reinstalling it.

W3FSY

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:49:58 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Eminem.

I can understand removal of the KB 960715 update as doing away with the error messages, but I consider the W.U. very needed. My son (40 yrs. old) surfs MySpace, Facebook, etc. and that is the reason I use Cyber Sentinel to limit access and him doing downloads, in addition to keeping his user account at a Limited Account. It could be the use of the software causes the error messages as it loads on startup of the computer.

Some that applied the WU have been having problems using "Office" software as a chap from Canada brought to my attention on Community Feedback Forum. The error messages do appear within My Computer> Event Viewer> under Antivirus as well as in the Log Viewer of Avast! AV. I was interested as to if others were having the problem of error messages that are Avast Users. It is quite easy to delete the entries in Log Viewer and I suppose I can live with it as it does not cause any problems surfing the Internet. Perhaps someone here may have some more ideas. Would selecting "filter" be a work-around for the Error Messages in Avast Log Viewer?

Thanks again, Eminem.

Ron

W3FSY

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »
I tried Eminem's suggestion and removed the Windows Update and still get the same error message within my Avast! Log Viewer as well as in Computer Management>Event Viewer> Antivirus.

The error message reads in full: AAVM-scanning error: tdiUrlBlockCommThread: DeviceloControl [IOCTL_URL_REQUEST/1] failed, 0000007A.

I've done a search and can not find what tdiUrlBlockCommThread refers to.

I am using the new version of Spybot S.&D. version 1.6.2 with the separate Secure Shredder Application installed and looked in the advance use and could not locate "tdi" reference anywhere. The upgrade to Spybot S.&D. version 1.6.2 was done on Wednesday, Feb. 11th the same day as doing the W.U. KB960715 (Update Roll Up for Active X Killbits for Windows XP) and was the approximate date that I've started receiving the error messages on Start and Restart of the computer.

I see no change in my surfing of the Internet, but I'm baffled as to why I keep getting that same error message logged when starting the computer. When switching users, it does not record any new error messsage.

After removing the W.U., it has been offered to me again and I have not installed it yet. Hidding the update does not appear to be the answer as with not having the update installed, I still get the error messages.

cod head

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:27 PM »
Hazarding a guess I would say it has something to do with the spybot update,you seem to have ruled out the windows update.I do not know a lot about spybot as I do not use it. :-\

ProgrammerGuy

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:49 PM »
Can you disable the 'Secure Shredder' application within Spybot?  If you can't, the next thing might be to unintall Spybot completely and see if the error goes away...

W3FSY

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies ProgrammerGuy and Cod head.

I've also thought that Spybot S.&D. v 1.6.2 upgrade may be the cause of my errors. I did see in the Advance Mode that you are able to uncheck Secure Shredder Application, but I don't think I want to attempt that yet as I may not be able to restore it once unchecked without doing a new install and it is a tool they plan on releasing as part of the planned version 2.0.

The part I do not understand is that Spybot S.&D. does not start with Computer "Startup", as far as I know. It is possible that Secure Shredder Aplication does start on bootup. I went to the Spybot S.&D. forum and did read posts to see if others were having any problems. There were some complaints of errors being recorded, but they were caused by clearing of temp files prior to doing a scan with S S.&D. I'm not registered on that particular forum, so I only had reading of posts available without registering.

I did read it was a trick with uninstalling the new version. There have been problems with the new upgrade tying up the mirrors and updates were not being made available due to it. It would not be a good time to uninstall and do another install at this time.

I've reinstalled the Killbits Windows Update for now and my Avast AV seems to update without any trouble with the error messages being recorded in the Log Viewer. That is the important thing that I have AV and firewall protection (Online Armor). I have SUPERAntiSpyware as well that I run twice a week.

Thanks loads, Gang.

Ron - W3FSY
(Eastern PA - Ham Radio Operator for 52 yrs.)

Alan Baxter

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:07 AM »
Hi, W3FSY.  I'm a long-time Spybot S&D user, currently using version 1.6.2.46 on Windows XP SP3.  I think 1.6.2.46 is the latest release version.  I do not have any error messages in the Avast Log Viewer or the system Event Viewer.

The part I do not understand is that Spybot S.&D. does not start with Computer "Startup", as far as I know. It is possible that Secure Shredder Aplication does start on bootup.

Spybot is not supposed to start on computer startup, unless you've configured it to do that.  The default Advanced setting is System start: No automation.  The things that might affect your system when the Spybot program isn't running could be its Tea Timer or SDHelper.  They are controlled by the Tools > Resident settings.  Tea Timer is automatically started on computer startup and runs continually in the background.  It does a bit too much for my taste, so I have that unticked.  I do have SDHelper, Spybot's IE bad download blocker checked.  It should affect only IE.

Shredder is a separate program, and it doesn't start up with the computer either.  It's run only when it's needed, either automatically by Spybot or by the user when manually shredding files.

I went to the Spybot S.&D. forum and did read posts to see if others were having any problems. There were some complaints of errors being recorded, but they were caused by clearing of temp files prior to doing a scan with S S.&D.

I recommend unticking the "Offer to clean the temporary files folder setting".  It's not necessary and could easily delete too much, causing problems.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I'm glad to hear that, except for the puzzling messages, Avast is still giving you full-time protection.

Eminem

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
I use Spybot Search and Destroy and I am not recieving that error.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
If you "google" the error number, the returns cover a wide range, depending on what context ''0000007A" is in. The thing a lot of the responses have in common, though, is the possibility of a bad sector on the disk.
The recommendation that goes with this is often to run a check disk scan.
It may also pay to check that the page file is the correct size.
Quite happy to show you how, if needed.

Other likely suspects were hardware related, and cabling, memory, and seating of terminals were suggested to be checked.

Do you have the TeaTimer, or the immunize functions in S&D active?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

W3FSY

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
I'm a bit busy right now, but will get back to you Tarq57 as to if running CHKDSK makes a difference with the "error" messages. I last ran it on Tuesday, Feb 11th prior to Window Updates being installed and then did not know I was going to have an upgrade for S S.&D. on Wednesday, Feb. 12th that required lots of changes to files.

Only have 10 gbs used on a 320 gb HD.

Tyvm all that replied.

W3FSY

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »
I forgot to tell you I'm not using Tea Timer and immmunize after getting the updates and do a scan afterwards.

Ron

W3FSY

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »
Posting for benefit of Tarq57 and all that have replied to my posts.

I checked S. S.&D. this morning, got the new updates, immunized and ran a scan without any difficulty. Upon restarting of the computer, error message was logged in Avast! (Log Viewer) as well as in My Computer>Event Viewer>Antivirus.

I performed maintenance (Check Disk & Defrag) just now and restarted the computer only to see the AAVM error upon restart of the computer.

Everything (Spybot S.&D. v 1.6.2.46, Avast! AV updates and performs scans, no effect on Online Armor firewall noticed or any other programs) seems to perform as it should and I will be leaving it as such and just delete the error messages from the log viewer.

Many thanks to all for your replies to my questions on this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:59:07 PM »
What would help would be the full text of the AAVM error as without it all is speculation.

We are seeing more and more weird instances (normally after avast program updates) in the forums with online armor in the mix, so I don't know if this too could be related, but again is total speculation without the aavm error details.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security