Author Topic: VRDB Disabled?  (Read 2894 times)

CapMan

VRDB Disabled?
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »
I recently discovered that VRDB generation was disabled in my Avast! 4.8, and I must swear that I didn't turn it off. :o Has anyone experienced any malware that does this behavior? I use Avast!, Spybot S&D, AdAware and Malwarebytes and am receiving no notification of malware on my machine.

JustInTimeBugger

Re: VRDB Disabled?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
My avast is currently not working but I am fairly sure you could edit it in the uhm ... Program Settings? Right click on the icon and select some items with 'setting' in it. Browse the tabs and try to find the checkbox about enabling VRDB ... If I remember correctly there's a seperate tab and there's some options at the tab about updating. If I had a working avast I could be a little more specific, sorry.

CapMan

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have already turned it back on before making my original post.

I guess I was trying to find out how it happened, or if malware has the ability to turn it off because I had it on and there is a date and time listed the last time the DB was updated a year ago! Normally, once you set up and configure an app, and you know it's working, you forget it.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
-= Maybe.. It was DEP [Data Execution Prevention] that disabled it..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1