Author Topic: Need help badly! Computer is messed up! [Solved]  (Read 32962 times)

Eminem

Re: Need help badly! Computer is messed up!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 06:45:38 AM »
what if it doesn't work? there has to be some way i can remove it right?

Eminem

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 06:49:15 AM »
i forgot to post earlier when loading internet explorer i was getting an error. Access violation at address 6cb616b7 in module AVGTOO~1.dll. And after a blank warning box would come up except for show me or not show me this message again. I reinstalled and uninstalled avg and the error went away.Am i ok?

ardvark

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 07:03:10 AM »
i forgot to post earlier when loading internet explorer i was getting an error. Access violation at address 6cb616b7 in module AVGTOO~1.dll. And after a blank warning box would come up except for show me or not show me this message again. I reinstalled and uninstalled avg and the error went away.Am i ok?

Hi...

You might be but I'm not sure, perhaps running "chkdsk /r" might also help (if you're using Windows XP, click on "Start" and then "Run" and if it asks you if you want to run it and next bootup, click "yes." In Windows Vista, enter "Run" in the search bar and click "Run' under "Programs.")

I would imagine through "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP, or "Programs and Features" in Windows Vista Home Premium (and possibly Home Basic.)

Best Regards...

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:27:45 PM »
Unfortunately by now you have installed and un-installed more security programs than most of us ever use.
You also have installed security programs that conflict with each other.

My suggestion is to either take your system to a qualified tech and have him/her fix your system or,
Format your HD and reinstall your system and install only the programs you need.
Hopefully this will tech you a valuable lesson:
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

cod head

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »
You seem to be on a Compaq H.P.computer like me.You may be better of using a option what I have used once on mine when I messed up.Restore to factory settings.If you do this though you will lose all the files and programmes you have installed on your computer and it will only have the things on when first purchased.You will have to reconnect to the internet and download ONLY programmes you need.Click on your windows circle button and select all programmes,click on recovery manager,that should give you a option to restore to factory settings or when booting up press f11 and that also takes you to recovery manager.When you come to a page that allows you to restore to factory settings click on it and leave it to it,it will take a while.You will have to reload programmes but you do not need a disc doing it this way.You just click install programmes.I hope this is of use to you.It is your least expensive option in my opinion. ;).

ardvark

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
Unfortunately by now you have installed and un-installed more security programs than most of us ever use.
You also have installed security programs that conflict with each other.

My suggestion is to either take your system to a qualified tech and have him/her fix your system or,
Format your HD and reinstall your system and install only the programs you need.
Hopefully this will tech you a valuable lesson:
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Hi Bob...

I guess this happened right after he uninstalled Compaq Connections, not thinking it would have these kind of effects. :)

May God Bless you! :)

Eminem

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »
is a compaq system restore really necessary? everything seems to be working fine at the moment...

Eminem

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »
Bob my aunt said that she only has needed to take her computer to a professional to be fixed one time. Everything seems to be working fine so i think that would be a waste of time and money.

Eminem

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:12 PM »
also what if trying to restore it i do something wrong and it doesn't work anymore?

Eminem

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »

Hi...

You might be but I'm not sure, perhaps running "chkdsk /r" might also help (if you're using Windows XP, click on "Start" and then "Run" and if it asks you if you want to run it and next bootup, click "yes." In Windows Vista, enter "Run" in the search bar and click "Run' under "Programs.")

I would imagine through "Add/Remove Programs" in Windows XP, or "Programs and Features" in Windows Vista Home Premium (and possibly Home Basic.)

Best Regards...
I ran the chkdsk \r thing and command prompt came up really quick and nothing happened.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:40:57 PM by Eminem »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39:27 PM »
Restart. Wait.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Eminem

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
what will happen if i have fixed it?

ardvark

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:31 AM »
what will happen if i have fixed it?

Hi...

After the scan, you will see a screen that lists any errors. However, whether or not chkdsk is able to fix anything, I would still see what CCleaner comes up with. :)

Best Regards...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 12:11:57 AM »
If you have actually scheduled a checkdisk, on restart the checking will be carried out, against a blue background, before the computer gets to the logon page. It could take a while. If any errors are found, it should - if it can- fix them.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Eminem

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 12:16:47 AM »
unable to remove the toolbar with ccleaner.. On the startup thing on ccleaner it says lpr123.exe is disabled. I looked it up and its associated with a trojan. Is this file on my system?