Author Topic: Malware name Win32:Vitro  (Read 341305 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Malware name Win32:Vitro
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2009, 11:05:21 PM »
NoScript and Adblock plus no problem, nor I would think with RequestPolicy.

However, RequestPolicy is an experimental add-on and you have to register to use it, personally I don't use experimental add-ons, your system, your choice ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
Hi DavidR,

RequestPolicy is on my system and inside Firefox and Flock since it came out, got very good critics from the developer Giorgio Maone, the man behind NoScript. Never had a hick-up with this extension even on the latest nightly build of Minefield's.

With RequestPolicy you have the following options on a webpage:
*Temporarily allow all requests (if the site is known to be trusted),
*Allow request from the site and all the other domains separately,
so if you block the site that loads the pictures you have no pictures there,
*Allow requests from (if the site is known to be clean and trusted, well who knows - do not use that one).
Nowadays webmasters have all sorts of scriptcode running on the webpages from whatever remote origin and do they check for what is propping up from every corner and whatever was updated, I think not every webmaster does or fully understands the risks and threats.

Where the threat does not come in the form of script, I think this is a very welcome means of additional protection.

Those that have learned to work NoScript find themselves soon quite at ease with this add-on.

When request policy is blocked for instance and you return to a link in a page to try another link you cannot, you can when a you allowed the request to being made (temporarily) or by a reload of the page where the two different links are to be found, and yes with request policy blocking again only one link to click, so protecting you for malicious request and redirects! But you cannot leave your brains at home folks, you cannot click on whatever you see, but that goes without saying,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
I'm aware about the critiques, etc. it is just my policy not to install experimental add-ons on my working system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
Hi DavidR,

That is no guarantee for having your browser function flawlessly not using experimental security add-ons. The interactions of add-ons are not always predictable. A so-called secure add-on like User Agent Switcher can be a menace to Fx or other add-ons. Being one of the thousands of beta testers of the Mozilla browser I know what I am speaking about. And I have not seen alerts in the error console that were caused by RequestPolicy. Another question is that I will never install an extension if it is not from the Mozilla official extension webpage period, there I fully agree with you,

polonus

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

Interesting additional info on the way virut infects:
http://community.ca.com/blogs/securityadvisor/archive/2009/02/09/infectious-virut-on-the-loose.aspx

A script for webmasters to get rid of the iframe injection by David Barett can be found here:
http://www.cedit.biz/scripts/14-virusmalware-repair/25-repair-ziefpl-iframe-injection.html

polonus
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:56:14 AM by polonus »

partzeus

« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
http://www.scanforfree.com/09/win32-virut-gen-5-removal.html will this clean your files that are infected or just isolate the infected files like Avast does. Is this a cure for this virus? Question? Why isn't anyone taking this virus seriously? I am seeing more posts on Google now and people are acting like this is not a serious virus?

Last week when I Googled win32 vitro there was less than 500 results now there is 129,000 this thing is spreading I hope a cure is found soon.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:09:50 AM by partzeus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »
This is most certainly serious and is treated as such on these forums. As when this gets a hold it is extremely difficult to clean and frequently ends up at the nuclear option. Backup your data files, etc. (.exe, .scr, .wma and .mp3 are the main targets for this virus {it may also inject iframe tags into .htm files} so you have to be careful what you backup), format and reinstall...

The other thing win32:vitro is a malware name used by avast, and possibly some other AVs but many others will have there own malware name and some will just name it another variant of virut (as it is like a supped up version of virut), so you could be seeing, just the tip of the iceberg.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
Hi DavidR,

This is the ultimate us versus them strain of malware, so to say, where we are anti-malware people and they are competitive malcreants trying to outwit us...

The witty maker(s) of virut must have thought of almost everything, it is very sinister advanced destructive malware, that has two layers of encryption, we read now form Symantec's blog report on Win32.CF Collateral Damage (I added some point here and there):

Polymorphic file-infectors have been around for a long time, with possibly the first one surfacing in 1990. This has proven to be an effective technique that malicious code authors have employed to give their code a better chance of survival in the wild. Since this type of threat showed up there has been a struggle between security vendors and malware writers. Every advance in antivirus prompted the malicious code authors to come up with new and imaginative ways to thwart these efforts and vice-versa.
So with virut we are out on the tiles, or out in the trenches rather....

Currently we are seeing an outbreak of a particularly sinister file-infector, known as W32.Virut.CF. This threat has already compromised corporate networks and is proving difficult to remove from infected networks. Once this threat infiltrates a network it can spread quite quickly using open network shares. So, what is it that sets this file-infector apart from the others and what makes it so difficult to remove?

Virut went through many revisions before the CF variant surfaced. This particular variant uses many advanced techniques to avoid detection and removal. None of the techniques are new, but have been used effectively within Virut. Some of the techniques employed include an advanced polymorphic engine, spaghetti code, and encryption.

There are two layers of encryption employed by Virut. The first layer encrypts the code using a weak encryption algorithm. This layer also uses spaghetti code and junk instructions to make white-box analysis more difficult and time consuming. The first layer is also optional, which helps to make detection more challenging. The second layer of encryption is more complicated. It uses checks such as checking CPU speed, illegal instructions, and API address manipulation to detect analysis. This layer uses a custom XOR encryption algorithm, which is also weak, but built in such a way that makes it trivial for the author to change. Each change makes Virut appear entirely different to casual analysis.

Once on the system the threat injects itself into multiple processes on the system and hooks the CreateFile API. This allows the threat to execute whenever any process opens a file on the system. Using this technique, Virut can infect many files on the host system or on remote systems over network shares. It will try to infect Portable Executable (PE), HTML, and ASP files among others. (HTML-IFrame attack
for instance)

And, if that’s not enough, the threat also uses Entry Point Obfuscation (EPO) to help evade detection. The infection routine will point to the entry point of the first or second layer of encryption mentioned earlier. Alternatively, the threat scans for certain APIs in Kernel32.dll and patches these to have its payload executed. This EPO not only makes analysis and detecting the threat more difficult, it also makes it significantly more difficult to safely repair the infected files. It also will fill part of the empty space
left unused by the coder of an executable etc., this randomly and in a random bogus way

One further/additional thing that makes this threat so difficult to remove is the wide variety of executable formats now available on Windows platforms. This threat was not designed to infect all of these but will attempt to do so anyway. This makes the results of infection very unpredictable and the task of removal more difficult. With file-infectors, the code only has to be good enough to infect a large amount of files—if it corrupts some files and renders them useless, it rarely affects the desired outcome or purpose of the threat. We have also seen malware becoming infected with Virut, which adds another layer of complexity in terms of detection and removal. Our engine attempts to detect and repair every sample infected with Virut, but because of the complications outlined above there are some exceptional cases where this is not possible.

All of this sounds quite grim, but this threat can be removed from infected networks by following best practices. The infected machines need to be isolated and then scanned with avast anti-virus, preferably in “Safe Mode,” in order to remove the infected files. Scanning in safe mode allows us to repair files that may be in use (for example, system files). Additionally, the virus will not load in safe mode. Non-repairable files may need to be restored from backup. Remove network shares, or make them read only at a minimum so that the virus can’t spread to them. As a last resort, highly compromised machines may need to be reimaged. Often still fdisk - format -re-install may be the only way out..

The websites associated with this threat should also be blocked at the network boundary. See the W32.Virut.CF write-up for further details on this. There is an online script for doing this I linked to in another posting with which webmasters can cleanse their websites....

Firewall logs should be monitored for outgoing requests to those sites that can give a good indication of the location of any infected machines within the network. If possible, the affected machines should be re-imaged from trusted media. When the machines have been cleaned they should be reintroduced into production networks with caution.   
That is why do not trust special removal tools for this much, standard nor online..until I have seen the cleansing performed in real time...In the above txt there is no mention of the way in which the virus beats Windows File Protection through the in-mem-running-winlogon service adding code changing the dll responsible for WFP and changing the registry, there is a virut variant that infects notepad.exe on a pendrive, etc. etc. even infecting through linux (wine)...so in two words a formidable opponent,

polonus
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:56:50 PM by polonus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »
We have said it before what this virus is doing doesn't seem to serve any normal purpose, e.g. gain revenue, just spread trashing systems.

If the coders are so cleaver to be able to circum the Windows File Protection, security, etc. you would think they would want this to be under the radar with botnets, spambot, id-theft, etc. to get revenue, not just wantonly trash a system. So they must be getting many unwanted/unforeseen consequences of their actions.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Well from the outset you would say that, because it does not seem to serve a purpose. And we were not accustomed to pure OS-killing viruses for some time, because Cybercrime is now playing a main part in the malware theater. This advanced sinister virus is to challenge the av vendors just to thrust protection to a higher level, and then they know what to develop next to beat av again, as if the developer says this is the most destructive strategy for which you apparently have no answer what is your next pass in the chess-game...

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2009, 12:06:41 AM »
What makes me mad is that we don't have any official answer in any time about this dangerous malware... Why?
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2009, 12:18:36 AM »
Hi Tech,

We had an answer at the start of this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42709.msg356973#msg356973
where the responder marks it as a new "hardcore" file infector, similar for what we have established in a more extended and detailed way during the rest of this thread. I think we are at a stage where av has to say: "This is to much for us, they (the malcreants) have won, so throw in the towel, here "the bull killed the toreador, and even got our two ears and a tail, so to say". To say as some we can cleanse this with best practices and it is a low risk malware in my opinion is strongly downplaying this threat.
And then in a practical sense when cleansing and restoring the OS is costing you far more time than to f-disk, format and re-install, then counting the buttons of your shirt is easy, and the best way is educating users in browser security that will protect them or watch carefully what they load into their machines/pendrives, peripherals,

polonus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2009, 12:28:22 AM »
We had an answer at the start of this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=42709.msg356973#msg356973
You're right. I apologize.
But can avast detect all the in-the-wild variants of this malware?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2009, 12:35:27 AM »
Hi Tech,

Did you read the technical description of the virus - the second encryption of the virus enables for the malcreants to change into a new variant almost on the fly.
The second layer of encryption is more complicated. It uses checks such as checking CPU speed, illegal instructions, and API address manipulation to detect analysis. This layer uses a custom XOR encryption algorithm, which is also weak, but built in such a way that makes it trivial for the author to change. Each change makes Virut appear entirely different to casual analysis.
(N.B. So there should be a generic detection available)

Don't you understand this a game between av vendor and malcreant as if the virus creator is saying: "Admit it this time you have lost and we say well for the time being that is"

pol

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2009, 01:50:32 AM »
Well, I won't admit it... hope Alwil won't too ;)