Author Topic: Avast won't let me reboot  (Read 3654 times)

2sents

Avast won't let me reboot
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:56 AM »
 :-\
Hi, changed to Avast from AVG because of the way it works almost automatically in the background.

Avast recently detect a virus which it quarantined. Later when needing to shut down avast would not let me. It says something like, "Detected removable medium. You must remove it to avoid contamination." The problem is there isn't anything there; nothing in the DVD, no floppy. The computer does have a printer connected but thats been there for a while. Yes, we be puzzled.

Any ideas?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast won't let me reboot
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »
The printer is the only thing connected? Via USB?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

And what is the name of the file that was quarantined?

2sents

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
Actually the mouse as well as the printer are connected via USB. Couldn't tell ya the file name now as it was deleted. Did figure out though the computer will shut down if the printer gets turned off first.

Now why would Avast do that? Its just a printer. Its like my new build I've been messing with for over a month. At start up it wants to boot from the printer when its connected. I have to unplug the thing so the computer can boot up. Weird!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
Well does your printer have any weird storage to buffer images that might be considered removable media ?

However have you modified the default settings to check other removable media on exit/logging off ?
Program Settings, Common section, see image, those indicated with the red line are the default settings.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security