Author Topic: i need HELP with opening avast 4 home  (Read 3547 times)

kerrysam

i need HELP with opening avast 4 home
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »
 I have installed 'avast! 4 Home' a while ago and everytime I try to open it, I get an error message stating: "unknown error message", "Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Failed" and when i got this i pressed on the read more about this problem in faq and this is the answer i got :-

Q: I have installed 'avast! 4 Home' and everytime I try to open it, I get an error message stating: "unknown error message", "Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Failed". How can I fix this?

A:

Select START -> RUN...
Enter the following command:
If you have Windows NT or 2000:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
If you have Windows 95, 98 or ME:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
If you have Windows XP:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
Press OK (or Enter).
A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear

the probem is i have vista not any of the above and i tryed these on the off chance but they dont work and now i dont know what to do??? please can someone help me???  ??? pretty please  :D :) thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: i need HELP with opening avast 4 home
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
You don't say if you have Vista32 bit or 64 bit

If you have Windows XP/Vista:
If you have Windows XP/Vista x64:
"C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\REGSVR32.EXE" ACTSKIN4.OCX

A message saying that the file was successfully registered should appear...

For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem. Program Settings, Common, and uncheck any option with skins mentioned (see image, avast-no-skin).

If you are unable to access the above you can do this manually. To do that, open the file using notepad <avast4>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry: StartWithSkin=0

Save the changes, the avast self-defence module will ask if it is OK answer Yes.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 04:29:31 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kerrysam

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
i think i have xp/vista x64 i tryed the c:\windows thing and all i got was a box saying
c:\windows\syswow64\ refers to a location that is unavable, it could be on a dard drive on this computer ,or on a network check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the internet  on your network and the try again if still cannot be located the info might have been moved to a different location i check and i am connected to the internet ok i dont have a disk  :-\.
the thing is im not very good when it comes to computers at all :-/ i cant find program setting and i have no clue how to do what u said about the note book :-/ im sorry im really bad at this if u cant help me no problem i will understand. i wish i never got a laptop ive had nothing but trouble lol

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:59:06 PM »
Note'pad' is a default text editor that comes with Windows, that is best to use when editing the avast4.ini file. It is important to use a text editor rather than a word processor which can enter style/layout/formatting characters when editing, that is why I mentioned using notepad.

If the syswow64 doesn't exist (rather than unavailable, check using windows explorer) it is unlikely you have the 64bit version of Vista. If you actually don't know if you have it, then that is likely that you don't have it but the standard 32bit windows vista edition.

Check out the My Computer, System Properties, as that would say what Operating system version you have. See image example of mine, note I have windows XP Pro the standard 32bit version, so there is no mention of the 32bit, if that were the 64bit version it should show that also.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kerrysam

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:19 PM »
rite ok it just say i have vista premium  :) i check for  syswow64it and no results came up i tryed the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX in run for the second time (i tryed both) and all i get is an error which says 0x80070005.
i tryed the notepad thing i went file open and tryped <avast4>\data\avast4.iniand and all i got up was avast web then i changed the box at the bottom to all files which showed up avast antivirus i opend this and it just gave me a load of works and swiggles and i looked through the words for [UserInterface] but couldnt find it  :-\ did i do it right or was i wrong ? im sorry if im annoying i dont mean to be i really aprechate the help  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:20 PM »
If it doesn't specifically mention it then it is more likely that you have the standard 32bit version of Vista.

Did you try the option for standard 32bit OS again.
If you have Windows XP/Vista:

With Vista I don't know if you might have to jump through some UAC hoops.

Perhaps you need to do a run as Administrator, but that really is something I know nothing about as I have been avoiding Vista like the plague, so i'm afraid I can't be much practical help...

kerrysam

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
yes i tryed sys32 it just comes up with that error.
i am running as the asministrator everthing i seem to do with this compter things go wrong i hate vista but its what came with the computer and i dont know how to get any other  :-\ i use to use avg but that only worked for a little while and then stoped working wouldnt update and now ive got avast and i can get that to work 100% i think im doomed lol thanks very much for ur help and ur time  ;D god know what im gunna do think i will have to get it looked at  :-\ thanks again tho  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:13 PM »
What do you mean by you tried sys32 as that doesn't match any of the commands, if this is simply you abbreviating the full command "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX" then I'm at a loss as to what to suggest as that folder system32 has to exist on a 32bit version of vista.

Are you able to use the run as function in vista as that may as I said before be one of the UAC hoops in vista you need to jump through.

The short answer (probably less time consuming for you too) would be to abandon this trying to get the skinning function to work and go for editing the avast4.ini file and just use the skinless option.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
How did you uninstall AVG?
AVG Remover download here: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools
The best things in life are free.

kerrysam

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
i menty i typed C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX in and it diddnt work  :-\ but its ok now thanks god i had someone look at it and he did some messing around dont ask me what i have no idea lol and now its working must have been me  ;) thanks again for your help it was a big help thank you  :-*.

tech
i uninstalled AVG useing Revo Uninstaller

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 01:08:26 PM »
tech
i uninstalled AVG useing Revo Uninstaller
Maybe running the uninstaller could remove any other remain of AVG...
Anyway, glad everything is working now.
The best things in life are free.