Author Topic: Updating AV defintition file ?  (Read 8477 times)

scsipete

Updating AV defintition file ?
« on: May 02, 2004, 10:28:34 PM »
Hi I just found out about your product and am thinking about testing it out but would like to know how to update the av defintion files? Should we make a copy of the cd to a cdrw and everytime we want to get new files like once a week or after a serious virus we can rewrite the cdrw ?

And where do we go to get the defintion file and what directory do we put it in ?

Thank you your product sounds great and very useful. :)

Peter

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Updating AV defintition file ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 11:38:53 PM »
Evidently, you haven't seen the software in action. :)

The BART CD features a special tool that you install on your desktop PC -- the "BART CD Manager" -- which keeps track of the updating automatically.

But you're basically right that having BART on a CD-RW is probably the most convenient...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

scsipete

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 02:53:32 AM »
Ok i'm a bit confused (ok a lot heh heh  :D ) Once i get the Bart cd do i have to copy the cd to my hard drive then run Bart CD Manager to update the files then reburn the cd ? because i need the cd to have the latest anti virus definition files ?

Thanks for responding so fast.  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 07:52:28 AM »
What you download as "avast! BART CD" is not an ISO image. It's an installation program (EXE file) that installs the BART CD Manager. The BART CD Manager is a simple program that lets you

(i) download the latest version (incremental updates)
(ii) generate the ISO.

You then burn the ISO in your favourite software.

Of course, it is recommended to always have as new version as possible on the CD. Hence my recommendation about CD-RW.

Alternatively, you can supply the virus definition file to the virus scanner from an external storage (floppy disk, USB flash disk etc). The virus definition file is identical to that of avast 4 (i.e. it's the file 400.vps from regular avast).

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »
BTW: You can read more info about the BART CD concept in this datasheet...

Pavel