Author Topic: Avast Unable to Scan Three Files  (Read 4401 times)

wris

Avast Unable to Scan Three Files
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »
I have only had Avast a short time and ran a full computer scan today. Previously, I have run a few Boot Scans, which did not show this error.

Full scan said unable to scan these files:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoof\…\pcd4050e.icm
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spoof\…\pcd4050k.icm
C:\WINDOWS\…\USSheetfedCoated.icc

Is this normal or something to be concerned about.  Unable to find any information on this by searching the internet.  Have since realized that I should have expanded the column width on the screen in the free edition, to see the reason.  Now, I am unable to see the results of the last scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Unable to Scan Three Files
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
I'd suggest you run a scan only on Windows folder again, expand the column and see the reason.
You can also generate a report file (see avast options).
But generally, files can't be scanned aren't a problem. I can not say for sure though.
The best things in life are free.

wris

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:19 AM »
Thanks for responding.  I reran a scan because I couldn't find any way to get to those particular files or folders.  Here is the report:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\pcd4050e.icm [E] The system cannot read from the specified device (30)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\pcd4050k.icm [E] The system cannot read from the specified device (30)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\USSheetfedCoated.icc [E] The system cannot read from the specified device (30)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »
I reran a scan because I couldn't find any way to get to those particular files or folders.
You can choose the area to be scanned, the files and/or folders and choose them before scanning...
The report is a little beyond my knowledge. Maybe it's being reported the devices (printers) aren't available anymore, maybe file access rights... hope some programmer give a help here.

wris

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I think these files have something to do with Photoshop Elements.

Should I be concerned that there is some malicious reason why Avast can't scan these files?    As I mentioned, prior to doing the full scan, I had only performed boot scans and this issue did not show up during the boot scans.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »
Should I be concerned that there is some malicious reason why Avast can't scan these files?
I don't think so... avast can't scan for quite some reasons and you shouldn't be worry with this kind of files.

tamlouie

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:46:36 PM »
I am new to Avast (downloaded yesterday), but kinda had the same thing happen and it worries me.  I downloaded the free Ad-aware on my pc (XP), and after the Avast scan (thorough) all the adaware skins and BMP files couldn't be scanned.  The report said "Archive is password protected".  I figured that was nothing, right?

Then there were three that said "unable to scan:Installer archive is corrupted"  What is that about?  Should I be worried?  The files were:
C:\System Volume Information\...\Setup.exe
F:\System Volume Information\_restitup.exe
F:Tamara's stuff\Security and protection Downloads\...\setup.exe

I sure hope someone can help me here

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:39 PM »
No, shortly, no. Don't worry.
avast can't scan files that are password protected, it doesn't know the password.
There are many legitimate reasons why a file was password protected. For instance, Lavasoft Ad-aware and SpyBot store their data in a password-protected ZIP archives (to prevent other similar tools from messing up with them). It's really nothing to worry about - it's normal.

In AdAware and S&D, when you fix/remove things it keeps backup/recovery information so you can restore anything that was mistakenly fixed/removed, etc. After a reasonable time your system has suffered no adverse effects, you can get rid of the older recovery/backup points. This should reduce the number of protected files.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
Also, the packaging of the file could have some error, or use a non-standard pattern...