Author Topic: Lost Registration Key  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Lost Registration Key
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
Yesterday morning, my computer would not do anything once Boot Up was finished.  Even after a couple Reboots and Power Down / Power Back Up, still ... my Windows was glitched beyond fixing.  So, I had to do an emergency Windows Reinstall.  My computer is now back up and running fine.  Avast! is of course back in there on the job.  :)  I did have my Registration Key saved in my Documents Folder before.  Of course, that disappeared with the Windows Reinstall.

I tried twice to get my Registration Key resent using that option where one selects that we are an Active User of avast!, but we just lost our Registration Key.  I entered my E-mail Address and that 3-character Code.  That was last night.  I still haven't gotten my Registration Key.  Both of those times that I tried the sequence, I never got any indication that my Info went through.  I just wound up on the same page.

Does that function / option  even work?  Or do I have to use the normal option ... as if I were a New User?  Would that even work?  Or would avast! know that that E-mail Address already has an active Registration Key?  Or will I have to use another E-mail Address?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Lost Registration Key
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
Try a free yahoo email account and try again, that seems to have worked for many people, then you will have to investigate why the emails went walkabout, ISP anti-spam filter, etc.

The function registered user and need a new key, etc. (the third one in the list) is the one I usually use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »
Try a free yahoo email account and try again, that seems to have worked for many people, then you will have to investigate why the emails went walkabout, ISP anti-spam filter, etc.

The function registered user and need a new key, etc. (the third one in the list) is the one I usually use.

Okay, so you're referring to the 3rd option, the one whereby the Registration has expired, right?  Would it work if one still has an active Registration in avast's records?  I barely renewed my Registration in like this past November.

I do have another E-mail Address.  I just really didn't want to use that one.  But, I guess if that's what it takes, that's what it'll have to be.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:36:22 PM »

Okay, David, I tried your suggestion ... the 3rd option.
It worked!  I got my Registration Key.  :)
And it was with my same E-mail Address.
I guess maybe that 2nd option doesn't really work or something.

Thanks, David!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
You're welcome, all the options work, however where they would be trying to find your old registration key (you lost), they would be looking for an entry with the email address you entered. If that is different to when you registered they wouldn't find that so couldn't complete the process, or if for any reason they couldn't find an entry for that email address, same result. That is why I always use option three.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security