Author Topic: Acer Aspire One  (Read 5318 times)

Feytouched

Acer Aspire One
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:25:31 AM »
I bought a new Acer Aspire One with the Linpus Linux OS just a few weeks ago.  I wasn't too worried about virus' since it is a Linux, but I know I still need some.  I've used avast before (my favourite virus checker, and I'll probably pay for the "office" eventually), and I was hoping to use it for this one as well.  However, There are three choices available for download, and I'm uncertain which I need or even what the difference between them is?  ??? ???

Would anybody be able to advise me on which one I need, please?  (I was hoping to find the info in your archives, but it seems as though no one else has needed to ask)  If I haven't put on the proper information needed just let me know what you need and I'll reply as quickly as possible.  Thank you.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Acer Aspire One
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »
I bought a new Acer Aspire One with the Linpus Linux OS just a few weeks ago.  I wasn't too worried about virus' since it is a Linux, but I know I still need some.  I've used avast before (my favourite virus checker, and I'll probably pay for the "office" eventually), and I was hoping to use it for this one as well.  However, There are three choices available for download, and I'm uncertain which I need or even what the difference between them is?  ??? ???

Would anybody be able to advise me on which one I need, please?  (I was hoping to find the info in your archives, but it seems as though no one else has needed to ask)  If I haven't put on the proper information needed just let me know what you need and I'll reply as quickly as possible.  Thank you.

for x86 linux, choose the appropriate package format (in the past *.rpm, nowadays rather *.deb), that's the easiest way (avast4 workstation is the product name, for free).

there's also tar.gz package, which is more bullet-proof and should work on nearly any x86 linux (if not, let us know).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)