Author Topic: Configuring Avast to allow Gametap to run. Need Help  (Read 3279 times)

jworley

Configuring Avast to allow Gametap to run. Need Help
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I recently installed Gametap video game program and am receiving an error from Gametap stating that the program cannot access the game files from my computer. After contacting Gametap tech support, I was informed that Avast was more than likely blocking the Gametap program and that I needed to manually configure Avast to allow the Gametap program to run. The program is that I have no idea how to do this. I am running Avast 4.8 Home (the free edition). Can anyone explain to me how to configure Avast to run the Gametap program?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Configuring Avast to allow Gametap to run. Need Help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:54 PM »
The problem is that they probably know as much about avast as Alwil do about gametap.

Unfortunately avast just scans and alerts to infection, but it doesn't block, it isn't a firewall. So I take it that avast isn't alerting to a file in the game ?

What is your firewall ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jworley

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 08:48:02 PM »
No other anti-virus on my computer. As for a firewall, I'm only running the default firewall that came with my Vista OS.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
That answers only half the question as any previously installed AV could leave remnants behind and these could clash and have a great impact.

The windows firewall shouldn't be involved as it doesn't monitor outbound activity.

Unfortunately I know nothing about gametap or how it works, so it is difficult to even imagine how avast could be involved.

If you only play the game on-line, it may be how the game is delivered, if streamed through the http port 80 it would go through the web shield proxy and it must conform to the HTTP protocol. If it doesn't then it could fail in the web shield filtering.

Try this first, Terminate the Web Shield and see if that allows you to play the game on-line (assuming you are playing it on-line).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:01:45 PM »
The windows firewall shouldn't be involved as it doesn't monitor outbound activity.
Just a note: Windows Vista firewall does monitor outbound activity. Just that it allows everything by default. You need to block specific activities if you want to use outbound protection. Other point it's not easy configurable. But, afaik, it does monitor the activity if the user wants.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:04 PM »
The problem being it is disabled by default and for the greatest majority of users that is the way it stays as they are unaware of it even having outbound protection or that it is disabled by default.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »
The problem being it is disabled by default and for the greatest majority of users that is the way it stays as they are unaware of it even having outbound protection or that it is disabled by default.
Sure.
I think this is due to antitrust policy... Could MS have an antivirus and a firewall integrated in the OS? ???
The best things in life are free.