Author Topic: Wich is better windows xp sp2 or sp3?  (Read 8990 times)

don67

Wich is better windows xp sp2 or sp3?
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
Hi Guys just wan't to ask only about this two service pack 2 and 3, wich is better to use for home and office use only 'cuz i'm planning to format my pc soon please give me advice... ;)

micky77

Re: Wich is better windows xp sp2 or sp3?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
I have updated 2 laptops to service pack 3.I did one a month or two ago,and the other a few days ago.I cannot tell one jot of diference in performance or otherwise.Obviously from a security point of view, you have to update to sp3. Probably some time in the future they will stop issuing patches for Sp2( july 2010 ijust read ). :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 07:32:24 PM by micky77 »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:37:14 PM »
SP3 pretty much perfected XP, removing a lot of the long-time niggling bugs.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
SP3 includes all updates included up to and after SP2 and also has some additional security updates and functions for the OS. This really is your best option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

don67

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:48:42 PM »
thanks a lot for the reply mates ;) i'll go for sp3...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:58:38 PM »
-= I'm cant make up my mind yet if I'll move to SP3.. Last time.. I've got never ending restart after installing SP3.. Was it fixed already..?
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
-= I'm cant make up my mind yet if I'll move to SP3.. Last time.. I've got never ending restart after installing SP3.. Was it fixed already..?
Well... there are tons of SP3 users... what happened exactly last time you've tried to install?
The best things in life are free.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

I think it was specific to one brand (Compaq/HP?) and fixed a long time ago.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 02:19:09 PM »
-= I still have those goosebumps.. Maybe.. I'll skip SP3.. and wait whether if there will be an SP4 [but I heard that Microsoft wants to kill XP..].. or if then.. I'll be moving to another OS.. Much probably.. Win7 or Mac OSX..^^
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »
Well if you have a robust back-up and recovery strategy then installing SP3 should be no real issue (which you should run before any major occurrence and installing an SP would fall under that heading).

-- SYSTEM BACK-UP & RECOVERY
If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.
If you have a back-up and recovery plan, you can recover from anything in minutes, not hours or days.

1. back-up all the things that you don't want to lose, data files, like documents, spreadsheets, emails, email account details, registration keys, address book, favourites/bookmarks, downloaded files/programs, etc. the list goes on and on but if you don't want to lose it back it up. There are many back-up programs that can simplify this task and run it every day.

2. Recovery - re-installing your system really is a poor choice and one of last resort. There are tools (Drive Imaging software) that take exact images of your Partitions or Hard Disks and these images can be restored in minutes if you suffer a major catastrophe and that doesn't have to be a virus attack.

I do a weekly image of my partitions and save them to my 2nd hard disk, they can also be saved to off-line storage, DVD, USB external hard disk, etc. as part of my weekly system maintenance.

So if the worst comes to the worst at most I lose:
A. 6 days worth of program updates or new installations, but with my daily back-up I can recover most of that.
B. less than one days data files, emails, etc.
None of these is a problem and much quicker than a system reinstall and I don't have to go on-line to download the myriad of security updates needed to secure my system where there is a chance to get reinfected whilst my system has vulnerabilities because of these missing patches. Not to mention all my system tweaks and program settings are retained and I will have saved myself many hours of work and a huge amount of stress.

Many of these programs cost, there are some free ones, but it will take some research on your part to find these tools and decide on what is best for you from reviews, user feed back, etc. good luck.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »
-= I still have those goosebumps.. Maybe.. I'll skip SP3.. and wait whether if there will be an SP4 [but I heard that Microsoft wants to kill XP..].. or if then.. I'll be moving to another OS.. Much probably.. Win7 or Mac OSX..^^

You must have read that on an Apple forum  ::)

Make sure you read the Mac area about Mac problems:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=5.0