Author Topic: malicious scripts savings or not ?  (Read 5909 times)

Waldo

malicious scripts savings or not ?
« on: June 03, 2003, 11:00:57 AM »

Does Avast 4.0 home scans/detects & eventualy blocks these dangerous script extensions ?

.VBS,.VBE,.JS,.JSE,.HTA,.WSF,.WSH,.SHS,.SHB

Or do i need an extra script blocker of some kind?

I use already Zone alarm free, Avast 4,0 :) and Anti trojan v5.5. all running permanently.

But i guess (not sure at all) that none of these save me from bad and
nasty scripts executing.

Thanks beforehand,

Waldo

Amerk_5

Re:malicious scripts savings or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 06:08:55 PM »
I know that avast 4 Pro has a script blocker. It looks like you can set avast 4 Home (which I'm running) to just block certain extensions.

I'm using a free program called Script Sentry that you set to intercept the scripts/files that you choose & then you close the program. It doesn't need to be running in the background at all. When a script tries to run it pops up a window letting you choose to allow it, block it or view the file in notepad if you want.

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 10:00:54 PM »
Well, for so far i"m aware (could be verry wrong) Avast doesn't protect from ALL
these kinds of different scripts being excecuted. Maybe 1 or 2.

I downloaded a freeware program (script defender) that works just like the "script
sentry" program you refered to. I think they use for 99 % the same engine and layout. seems to work great as there is a "test" .vbs included and it react directly.
You could also download a test script at http://www.finjan.com/mcrc/sec_test.cfm
(creators of Surfin Guard) to see how it reacts, and Avast doesn't :( ? strange....

script defender :
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/sdefend.htm

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 10:31:25 PM »
To Waldo:
Script Blockerâ„¢ is included in avast! 4 Pro only - not in avast! 4 Home. It is able to blocks malicious code: scripts, DirectX, Java Applets etc. Of course it does not detect finjan demo code  :D

regards,

Pavel

bman

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 11:01:29 PM »
And what about avast! 4 Home. Does resident shield protect against scripts?