Author Topic: AVAST can't delete Virus  (Read 3236 times)

rrasmussen7

AVAST can't delete Virus
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
Avast is finding and warning me of the file: "svchost.scr" and gives me the option to delete it. However, when I opt to delete it, I get the same warning. It doesn't seem to be able to delete it. I have run the boot scan and tried to delete it there but it still comes up when my system re-boots.

I have tried to delete it using "Search" file via my Regedit but it won't work either.  Any tips? I have Windows XP Home Edition.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVAST can't delete Virus
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 06:34:19 PM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.

Also, if you can't get rid of it, maybe you can run full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender
The best things in life are free.

mjnelson99

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:42 AM »
I have used TrendMicro's Housecall in the past. Since it seems to find the same file on my laptop I wondered if they intentionally do that to get you to purchase their bloated product.

Not sure, though.

I would use a different online scanner, though.
Mary

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:24:49 AM »
I have used TrendMicro's Housecall in the past. Since it seems to find the same file on my laptop I wondered if they intentionally do that to get you to purchase their bloated product.
Well, maybe...

I would use a different online scanner, though.
I suggest BitDefender. It could clean for free.
The best things in life are free.