Author Topic: File Download Options Annoying  (Read 3000 times)

ictponder

File Download Options Annoying
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:30:12 AM »
Everytime I download a file from the web, I get the simple user interface box that pops up with options. Then I get a splash screen for avast. Is there any way to disable this feature so that NOTHING pops up after a file is downloaded?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: File Download Options Annoying
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:36:53 AM »
Provide more details please.
What OS? What version of avast? How are you downloading? Did you change any settings in avast? etc etc?

ManyQs

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:52:15 AM »
[size=0pt].[/size]

For what it's worth, I have had no problems like that for a number of years on either of my computers. And I download a heck of a lot of files and do all sorts of work on the Net. Only thing I ever see are the virus alerts and the version updated or program available popups. Oh yes, and the two orange ones recently.

[size=0pt].[/size]

Ladydance

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 05:48:53 AM »
I think this is normal, I and you are same.
Don't worry about this anymore.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
ictponder,

this suggests that you have told your download manager to execute the wrong scan program in avast. 

The correct program give to your download manager is (please adjust as necessary for your system):

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe   

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »
You probably placed wrong component into downloader. Besides, with Web Shield and Standard Shield running, i see no point in placing scanners into download tools.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I prefer to know the status of a downloaded file at the completion of the download and ashquick.exe gives me the rapid assurance of a thorough scan for any file type. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:31:27 AM by alanrf »

ictponder

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
I'm using Xp with Avast 4.8 Pro w/latest Firefox but has done it on past versions of Firefox. I never set anything for download management, unless Firefox automatically scans downloaded files with antivirus. all I know is that for each file I download I have to close the simple user interface window as well as the avast splash window withe registration key on it. But it's already registered.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Whilst firefox 3 has a function to have downloads scanned, it has a proviso that it doesn't work with all AVs and it doesn't work with avast, so by default your downloads aren't scanned via firefox calling the AV.

If you are having to close the Simple User Interface window, then you have selected the wrong component of avast to scan the download as Alan mentioned in Reply #4 above.

So I would check any download management you are using within firefox (add-on, etc.) and change it to the path given by Alan.

I don't know why the about avast window would pop-up, you say you have registered, but that is the first step, you need to enter the key that was sent to you by email into that License Key... field, Insert Registration Key - Video.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security