Author Topic: Computer sort of reels after avast! updates  (Read 4935 times)

Jima

Computer sort of reels after avast! updates
« on: February 08, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
I have mentioned before that I simply wait while avast! updates take over my glacial modem.  It is usually only a few minutes and I am glad to get the protection.
More recently it takes several more minutes (and occasionally much more) for things to return to normal.  I liken it to having given the system a severe shaking or a live virus flu shot.  Things are slow and confused. 
Today, after an avast! update that woke up my Zonealarm firewall, I actually had to re-boot to get things back to normal, where they remain.
Anyone else with similar experience?  Ideas for cause?
Thanks

ardvark

Re: Computer sort of reels after avast! updates
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:43:42 PM »
I have mentioned before that I simply wait while avast! updates take over my glacial modem.  It is usually only a few minutes and I am glad to get the protection.
More recently it takes several more minutes (and occasionally much more) for things to return to normal.  I liken it to having given the system a severe shaking or a live virus flu shot.  Things are slow and confused. 
Today, after an avast! update that woke up my Zonealarm firewall, I actually had to re-boot to get things back to normal, where they remain.
Anyone else with similar experience?  Ideas for cause?
Thanks

Hi...

Is this the result of updating the program to 4.8.1335?

You might want to first try performing a repair installation by going to the "Control Panel" and clicking on "Add/Remove Programs," (in Vista Home Premium, it will be called "Programs and Features.") Then click on the avast entry and when you get to the window that has the menu on the left (that offers different options,) scroll down to "Repair." It might ask to reboot once complete, go ahead and do so and see how it works. :)

If that doesn't work and you're using the Home version, try uninstalling avast with this tool...

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Then reboot and reinstall avast from here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

If you have deleted the e-mail containing your program key, you can reapply for a new one here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

and if you need help with installing the key, please see this video tutorial here...

http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm

Hope this helps. :)

May God Bless you! :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:47:03 PM by ardvark »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »
What is the CPU make and speed and how much RAM does the system have?

Jima

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:16:10 AM »
CeleronR
120MB

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:00:49 PM »
Do you mean 120MB RAM or hard drive size? 

Go to Control Panel then System then report what the CPU type and speed is.

That is mine.

Jima

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 05:23:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
The results I find on the System page is CeleronR and 120 MB of RAM.

My question was not so much as how to fix what may or may not be a problem, but whether others experience it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 05:26:21 PM »
Well, 120MB is not much... the size of the virus database grows (and uses more memory subsequently), so I can imagine the system starts swapping and gets slow...  :-\

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
Do yourself a favor and investigate getting more RAM for your system.

The diagnostic at crucial.com will show you your RAM options and prices that you will see are reasonable:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner

You do not have to purchase the RAM from Crucial but if you take your system to a local PC store they can add at least 256MB RAM for not much money.

Jima

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:54:08 PM »
I do appreciate the input.
Crucial took about 5 minutes to tell me it would need 20 + more to download a scanner.
I am not really looking to add memory, so this would have only satisfied my curiosity;  maybe another time.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
Jima, if you know the brand and model number of your computer, you can just select it with the drop-down boxes on crucial's homepage.

The only reason that you would need to download the scanner is if you don't know the make and model of your computer.

If it's a dell, it says it right on the front (Ex. Dell Optiplex 330).

So, you'd just select dell, then optiplex, then 330 and it will tell you exactly what you need.

If you're still running a computer with 128 MB of RAM, purchasing more will INDEED speed up your computer, but it might be time to purchase a new one!  They're really cheap nowadays!

I know this doesn't have anything to do with your question, and that you aren't even looking to put more memory into your computer, but I thought I'd give some help on the crucial site.

As for your original question, no I haven't seen that problem yet.  That's probably because I don't know anyone that has dial-up still, nor one that uses a machine with less than 512MB of RAM.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Jima

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »
I finally did get a Crucial scan, a good thing because there were two possible series and I had guessed the wrong one.
I assume the "low memory" notices I have been getting have the same source.
So I ordered the 1 GB upgrade recommended for about $50 and will post the exciting results when it arrives.

Jima

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36:44 PM »
Oh, boy!  I got a brand new pair of rollerskates. :)
Got the new memory board this PM:  TWO DAYS from ordering with only the first tier of speedy delivery (maybe $#3)!
Took about three minutes to install and the increase is shown on the system page with RAM at 1.11 GB.
Re-booting took about 25% of normal time and so far every other function, including an avast! update, also cruising at warp speed.
Thanks to all of you. Got my fingers crossed for continued improved performance

ardvark

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 03:09:16 AM »
Oh, boy!  I got a brand new pair of rollerskates. :)
Got the new memory board this PM:  TWO DAYS from ordering with only the first tier of speedy delivery (maybe $#3)!
Took about three minutes to install and the increase is shown on the system page with RAM at 1.11 GB.
Re-booting took about 25% of normal time and so far every other function, including an avast! update, also cruising at warp speed.
Thanks to all of you. Got my fingers crossed for continued improved performance

Hi...

You're welcome, I'm glad it's working well so far! I apologize that my directions missed the mark to begin with, sometimes it's hard to diagnose problems without seeing the system first hand. :)

May God Bless you! :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
Glad to hear you're running faster!  Yeah, 256 MB of RAM just isn't enough for modern-day computers.  I'm sure everything you do on your computer from now on will be much less painful!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum