Author Topic: Question about my order  (Read 3632 times)

Nella

Question about my order
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »
I purchased the pro edition and was asked to wait while my order was being processed. After 4 hours or more, the hourglass was still showing that it was processing. I already received my email and license key. Do I need to run the program I installed even though my Avast! trial isn't over yet? Avast! detected that my computer has a virus. I'm sorry if I'm posting this message in the wrong forum. If I am, please direct me to the right page. Thanks in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Question about my order
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
The license key period is counted by the date of its generation and not the date you've added to the program. So, you can add your bought key right now.

About the virus, can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?
What avast! version and virus database are you using? (see About dialog of avast!)

Also, the safer is send the file to Chest than direct removing (deleting) it.
The best things in life are free.

Nella

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:32:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure where the virus was located as I got the alert yesterday. I clicked "Abort" which would supposedly stop the attack. Hopefully, that helped. I wasn't given the option to move it to chest. I've entered my license key so my upgrade to the professional addition is now showing. I will run a scan in a few minutes to check for problems. Is there anything else I can do to protect my computer? I ran Spybot Search and Destroy. 7 out of 9 problems could not be fixed. I'm not sure why. I have a firewall and was prompted to install Antivirus 360. I installed it but removed it because I was asked for payment and I didn't want to use it since I have the Avast! I hope that didn't harm my computer. I'm not familiar with that program. Why would that pop up instead of Avast!? Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:08:26 PM »
I clicked "Abort" which would supposedly stop the attack. Hopefully, that helped. I wasn't given the option to move it to chest.
So it was probably a Webshield alarm and an infected website was being visited. The abort connection did the job.

Is there anything else I can do to protect my computer?
Try SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

I have a firewall and was prompted to install Antivirus 360. I installed it but removed it because I was asked for payment and I didn't want to use it since I have the Avast!
Do not try to use two antivirus at the same time.
Are you still using Norton firewall?

To remove Norton products:

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.

Nella

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
My firewall isn't Norton. I believe it's Windows. I will use Spyware Terminator and try the Norton Removal Tool but I had a tech remove Norton and add Avast! a long time ago. Thank you. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 11:57:06 PM »
I will use Spyware Terminator
The other two are better... Super and MBAM.

Nella

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:11:51 AM »
Yes, I can't purchase the full versions of the malware scanners at this time. I just purchased the avast!. The scans I've been running show that I have many errors to fix. Not sure what to do from here.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:08 AM »
No need to purchase the Pro versions of SAS or MBAM, use the free version which is just an on-demand scanner and run a scan periodically.

They are however, a small one of payment and if you decide to in the future you should only have one of them as Pro with resident protection and leave the other one free, on-demand scanning only.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
I can't purchase the full versions of the malware scanners at this time.
I, usually, do not recommend sharewares, only freewares ;)