Author Topic: Problem Updating  (Read 3003 times)

hairyscairyman

Problem Updating
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:26 PM »
Hi

I've been running avast on my computer for over a year. A few days ago, it gave an error message when trying to update, and it's given the same error ever since, whether on manual or automatic update.
The error is:

' The instruction at "0x100068a0" referenced memory at "0x100068a0". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program'

Regardless of which button I click, I then get the standard update summary, with the text

'Information about current update:
Total time 4 s'

although the total time varies.

I get this error even when not connected to the internet

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling avast, and the error continues

I'm using avast 4.8.1335 with VPS 090205-1. I run Windows XP SP3 on an Intel Celeron 450 @ 2GHz laptop with 448MB of RAM.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem Updating
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »
This is the first time I see the error 0x100068a0 in forums... ::)
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP, Vista?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
The best things in life are free.

hairyscairyman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:33:48 AM »
Windows XP with sevice pack 3
No other antivirus

I tried repairing the installation and then uninstall/reboot/reinstall/reboot; it doesn't seem to have made a difference

Forejt

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
To help resolve this problem, edit file setup.ini in avast4\setup folder, and add the following line to the top:
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

Start update, then send me file SetupDbg.log in setup folder to my email.

yemite70

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:54:44 PM »
for mcfee for example, if you are not even connected to the internet there is a way you can download an update elsewhere and install it on your laptop, i believe there should be the same thing for avast. i am also having the same problen. if there is any downloadable update please send to my mailbox-yemite70@yahoo.com. if you are able to get this update apply it on your laptop it should work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
I suggest you modify your post and remove your email unless you particularly like spam. The forums are publicly available and could be scanned by bots harvesting email addresses.

avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - For updating an off-line systems, download using a system with internet connection, save the file to a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the off-line system and run it to update the VPS signatures file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security