Author Topic: Attempting to Burn discs (and not Avast related....)  (Read 4719 times)

Phant0m``

Attempting to Burn discs (and not Avast related....)
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:27:36 AM »
Hi,

I have been with a fairly severe problem since upgrading to Avast! v4.8.1335, it relates to attempting to burn discs.  Attempting to burn discs causes my system to instantly re-boot, and on several occasions I have lost very important work. And not to be too much of an critic, .. a number of discs also.

I was trying to hold on for as long as I could, and not be so quick to report..., I figured Avast with the new release likely has number of reports coming in that you guys have to go through.

I also don't have any debugging information, the system re-boots instantly upon attempting to burn disc. However I do know that Avast! Standard Shield set with sensitivity - 'normal' seems to always reproduce this problem, and once I manually disable the Standard Shield, I'm able to begin burning and finish successfully.

Here's some more Information;
Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1 (.. including WUs since then)
LG DVD Burner (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N ATA)

... I'm happy to provide additional information if needed.

Regards,
Phant0m``
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:59:32 PM by Phant0m`` »

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Avast! v4.8.1335 + Attempting to Burn discs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:36 AM »
Hi Phant0m``

I'm not an expert but I do use the forum quite often and I can tell you that you don't have to hold back. This is why the forum is here (to solve problems).
What CD burning software are you using?
Also, are there any other software that could cause this (ie other security suits)?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

YoKenny

Re: Avast! v4.8.1335 + Attempting to Burn discs
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »
Phant0m``, a reboot is usually indicative of a hardware failure and if you disable the auto reboot it will lead to a BSOD screen with the name of the failing routine documented.

If you have Dr. Watson enabled a memory dump will be available for an expert to decode.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538 <== Oh dear I see that is for XP

Phant0m``

Re: Attempting to Burn discs (and not Avast related....)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
Hi guys,

Wasn't specific to a particular burning software, .. hence the reason for not detailing the burner software used.

From my observations, the automatic reboots 'usually' indicates software incompatibilities, including driver issues.

.. I already had disabled 'Automatically restart' for under 'System failure' in 'Startup and Recovery'.

The computer instantly restarts ... leaving no time to-do even the minidumps, .. no error screens nada!

The problem is with the DVD burner device, just I was fooled, started happening shortly after having upgraded to the latest when it first had officially released. And then my tests in a row to reproduce the problem three times in a roll and then terminating Avast Standard Shield and waiting for a minute and re-testing, and then it happens to be successful... But the only quick & sure means to determine if Avast is the problem or not ... to uninstall Avast completely and re-boot.

... Let's just say I regret uninstalling Avast! ... now I need to re-install it again. :P

But with Avast uninstalled though, I easily reproduced the problem anyways, .. it is with the DVD burner device. Explain for the system 'instant' restart.

Sorry for the inconveniences, hope no one will be throwing stones at me on my way out..   :-[

Regards,
Phant0m``

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:58:10 PM »
No worries Phant0m`` ,

The forum is here to help. Now that you know avast isn't to blame you are closer to solving your problem.
I also use Vista (Home Basic on a desktop and Home Premium on a laptop). I found that not a lot of avast users (registered on this forum anyway) have Vista as their OS.

If your computer came already with vista on it then you should have a recovery partition. This might come in handy if your CD/DVD burning software came pre-instaled with the system and was working fine prior to the upgrade. Please make sure there is a recovery partition on your disk before removing anything. If there isn't then pay no attention to my post.

Now, first thing to do is to completely remove the faulty program by going into the control panel, Program and Features, selecting the said program and removing it.
Next you go to the start button click all programs and look for something that says recovery. Now depending on the Brand of computer you have this may vary. For instance on my HP i click Start-All Programs-Recovery Manager(folder)-Recovery Manager(executable). On my E-Machines I go Start-All Programs-EMachines Recovery Center(folder)-EMachines Recovery Center(executable).

Once here you'll be asked for permission from the admin and then you will Select the restore application option. Again different brands different ways of giving ou the option but usually somewhere there has to be the option of restoring the application. Follow the steps and that should give you the original fctory application (for DVD/CD burning) that came with your PC.

Apologies if this is wrote for nothing and you already knew what to do.
Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Phant0m``

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
What you mean closer...? I already traced the problem, .. back to being the DVD burner DEVICE itself. :)

Thanks for the information, but I already knew it all, I'm an computer technician in my local area ... but at least others on here who'll see it will surely benefit from it.

Regards,
Phant0m``

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 07:21:19 PM »
Ah,

Should have read your post more attentively. Again apologies for the extra info. Hopefully someone will find this eventually useful.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:57:28 PM »
My Recovery Partition reverts me to Norton 360  ::)

Now all Norton in the Recovery Partition has gone to bit bucket &HOTPLACE as I wandered through the bat files that did the recovery and remed out the statements that invoked Norton and erased the Folders that contained anything Norton.

Thank &Deity for my knowledge of bat file commands and my trusty DOS for Dummies book I have.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
First thing to do with the recovered system...

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:03:34 AM »
First thing to do with the recovered system...

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.

Thanks.

I did that first but I forgot to mention it.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »
You revert back to a different program if you do a complete system recovery. what I said was:

Now, first thing to do is to completely remove the faulty program by going into the control panel, Program and Features, selecting the said program and removing it.
Next you go to the start button click all programs and look for something that says recovery. Now depending on the Brand of computer you have this may vary. For instance on my HP i click Start-All Programs-Recovery Manager(folder)-Recovery Manager(executable). On my E-Machines I go Start-All Programs-EMachines Recovery Center(folder)-EMachines Recovery Center(executable).

This means that i am only recovering one program not the whole system. Or did you mean to say something else by your posts?
Computer Systems: