Author Topic: Avast 5 & 98  (Read 43918 times)

onlysomeone

Re: Avast 5 & 98
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
Sooner or later Win 95/98/... have to die...
Probably the time has come now... :-\

I think it is the right choice to leave the old behind and look into the future...
It would be a pity if lots of new features couldn't be included into Avast! just because of less than 0.7 % of Win 98 users...

yours
onlysomeone

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »

I think it is the right choice to leave the old behind and look into the future...
It would be a pity if lots of new features couldn't be included into Avast! just because of less than 0.7 % of Win 98 users...

yours
onlysomeone

Totally disagree with you. Surely you must realise that 98 was a preferred system to the junk of XP & Vista.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Reductase

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 04:17:20 PM »
All vendors should be encouraged to follow MS EOL timetable as these have extended support completed as well.  This dropping of support by MS makes devlopment for 3rd party software much more difficult.  Windows 98 EOL was July 11, 2006 and for Avast to go three years or more beyond that, well ...they should be congratulated, not scolded by users who want that support.

While you may disagree with the security issues, the UAC, protected mode, kernal protection and standard user accounts (plus other features based on version) make Vista the software that is more secure in todays world than Win 98.  But all the security issues of OS are for another board...

onlysomeone

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

yours
onlysomeone

Totally disagree with you. Surely you must realise that 98 was a preferred system to the junk of XP & Vista.

Well, this is your point of view and I find it okay, as everyone is different in what he likes and what he doesn't like...

I don't think that XP or Vista are junky in any way...
I really like the features XP, Vista, or now Seven bring... I love Aero/Dream Scene/..., I like and use many tools like the "Snipping Tool" which helps me to easily make captures of the screen and post them to the forum to help others...

Now that I used this new OSs i never would like to go back... I still can remember installing individual drivers and software for any USB stick i plugged in... what took me much time in the past happens automatically in a part of a second today...
So there are many improvements for me... probably you'd see this different...
Everyone like he wants :)

hines232

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
The OS works and does what we want it to do, so we don't want to upgrade, please understand this.

Same here NightShade, (OS ME) Just read the problems the other OS Systems are having right here. I will really miss mine when it will no longer be able to run.

onlysomeone

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
The OS works and does what we want it to do, so we don't want to upgrade, please understand this.

I do understand!
But somewhen you will have to upgrade... and then you can enjoy lots of new and really cool stuff :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2009, 08:18:58 PM »

I do understand!
But somewhen you will have to upgrade... and then you can enjoy lots of new and really cool stuff :)

yours
onlysomeone

Ok, we upgrade, then we find DRM issues when downloading and playing music files, just one problem with the likes of the newer OP systems!

I had been told that 95/98 users could pretty much expect support to last till at least to the end of 2009 and perhaps some of 2010.

But for onlysomeone to come on and say that 95/98 are ready to die now is just crazy.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:22:08 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »

Same here NightShade, (OS ME) Just read the problems the other OS Systems are having right here. I will really miss mine when it will no longer be able to run.

Hines,

Once support finally dies for 98 have you ever considered not running an AV progam at all? Some people have said to me that they don't use an AV program on their system as they are careful what sites they visit and what files they execute, so if you want to continue to run 98 then you can.

I have not had a windows update now since the MS support drop, and have had no problems since then.

Now I am not saying that this is the correct thing to do, what I am saying is that 98 is perhaps not the target for spyware/viruses like it was a few years ago.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 08:30:00 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »

The problem is not 'the OS does what you want it to do' but what it 'can't' do in relationship to avast (and many other applications). avast! want to make changes to better protect the majority of systems. Already some of these improvements don't work in win9x/winME, but fortunately they are able to be discarded in older OSes.

The problem comes when avast wants to make changes in the core functionality of avast that isn't supported in older OSes and this is I believe where we are now with avast 5.0. For those on older OSes Alwil have said they would be supported to the end of the year and that is in the form of the avast 4.8 version still being available for those OSes. So at the end of that period who knows if that will continue.

Alwil has been very good in providing a free version for those who can't really afford the Pro version, but that generosity has to be tempered with how much it costs to continue supporting older OSes that even MS abandoned years ago.

Moving to version 5.0 yet still maintaining compatibility with win9x, winME for what they have planned isn't possible without holding back the newer OSes, effectively that could lose avast the higher protection that will come with that upgrade. So for a period of time they will have to devote time and money maintaining 4.8 and its VPS update system and updates in support a dying OS with less and less users; at some point that will have to end and that is unfortunately a commercial reality.

So understand this, at some point in time there will be zero AV support for win98, winME, then will your OS do what you want of it and I presume being able to use your system and be protected from malware.

I'm not telling you to upgrade your OS, simply telling you how it is, avast 5 won't support win98 or winME as has been stated on numerous occasions already. At this point in time with July as the likely release date for avast 5 there is no way they could re-engineer it to be compatible with win98 and retain what improvements that are planned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
I don't think that XP or Vista are junky in any way...
Neither do I. I understand the ones who use old OS, but, it's inevitable that they dye...
Oh, I think the OS shouldn't be as integrated with browsers (and the opposite) as XP and Vista are.
The best things in life are free.

onlysomeone

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
But for onlysomeone to come on and say that 95/98 are ready to die now is just crazy.

i didn't say now, i said sooner or later...  :)
at least if your hardware breaks down and you have to get a new PC...  ;)
you won't find drivers for Win 98 which support the new hardware and so you can't run this OS any more...
Its just a question of time  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
As far I know, people will be able to use avast4 with older OS for, at least, one year. Maybe they extend the support (virus database update).
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Maybe they extend the support (virus database update).

That would be nice, and that is all we would want anyway, the virus database update only.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 10:54:20 PM »
That was one of the problems as the VPS update in version 5 has changed to make it more efficient, so having to maintain the old VPS update system is the overhead I mentioned. As the virus database grows even further there are likely to be more issues with old OSes having problems even in the VPS updates, we are already seeing this in a number of topics already.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hines232

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 01:11:22 AM »
Maybe they extend the support (virus database update).

That would be nice, and that is all we would want anyway, the virus database update only.

Agreed NightShade, Will still use AVast as long as I can. You Should have some av protection. It is true that in time, "All good things do come to an end", such as 98/ME, in the name of progress ??. ::).