Author Topic: WebShield blocks browsing  (Read 25046 times)

Jahn

Re: WebShield blocks browsing
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:42 AM »
I read in one of the above posts about forcing avast to ask the fire wall for permission, again, but I don't see where you say how to do this.  ???
Well, you actually force your firewall (not Avast) to ask for permission again by removing the existing Avast permission(s).

For CIS, remove the Avast entry(ies) in Firewall - Advanced - Network Security Policy, press Apply.

Jagoroth

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »
I have the same problem, though I am positive the cause is different.

When I first installed Avast!, I opened up my browser (Firefox) to use the internet.  Avast! popped up with the permit/deny question and I accidentally denied the program, so now I can't use Firefox to browse.  Is there a way to undo my blatant fudging and restore Firefox's access through Avast?  I'd feel more comfortable with the Web Shield on, and not disabled as it is currently :(

Any solution/walk-throughs on how to unblock it?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:30 AM »
You have not mentioned the provider of your firewall.  Typically a firewall allows you to display a list of the permissions and a list of the blocks you have given and probably yours does too. 

Again typically you are given the option to remove the permissions or blocks you have placed.  In this case you will need to remove any block you placed on Firefox and ashWebSv.exe (the Webshield).  When you remove the blocks your firewall should again ask you for permission for both Firefox and ashWebSv.exe.  I think you know how to respond this time.   

Jagoroth

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »
I use Nvidia's ForceWare firewall.  I am able to browse just fine when I have Avast itself turned off, because I didn't block Firefox with my firewall.  It is Avast that is blocking it.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 05:43:17 AM »
Please understand that avast does not block.

avast only attempts to scan the connection and again I tell you it does not block.  What you are seeing is some other function blocking avast's attempts to scan your internet connections.

What was you previous antivirus provider and how did you remove it?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:47:17 AM by alanrf »

Jahn

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
I use Nvidia's ForceWare firewall.  I am able to browse just fine when I have Avast itself turned off, because I didn't block Firefox with my firewall.  It is Avast that is blocking it.
No. I think you will find that Firefox will also connect to the internet if you disable your firewall. Think of Avast Web Shield as a intermediary host. If your firewall blocks Web Shield, it (your firewall) will also block your internet connection. Yes, disabling Avast will work too, because you are no longer redirecting web traffic through Avast.

I'm not familiar with ForceWare Firewall, but somewhere in the GUI should be a list of programs showing what permissions/rules you have allowed/denied. Remove/delete anything pertaining to Avast/Alwil and either restart the firewall or reboot. Connect to the internet and allow any alerts you receive for Avast/Alwil.

Jagoroth

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
I found it.  My firewall was blocking Avast's web shield.  Sorry for the mix-up :-X

But thank you for the help!

Jahn

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »
I found it.  My firewall was blocking Avast's web shield.  Sorry for the mix-up :-X

But thank you for the help!
No problem - glad you got it sorted, and you're welcome. :)

greendager

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
This is the error message I get, " Connection Interrupted "

"The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again."
it makes not difference if windows firewall is on or off, if the webshield is on I get this message. If I turn my firewall of and I still get this doesn't that mean that its not my firewall blocking the internet?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
Does this occur with any site? Or just particular ones?
The best things in life are free.

greendager

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
All sites.

pewterbot9

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2009, 02:26:54 AM »
About as pathetic as your uninformed, ignorant and abusive posts.

Hardly. "Abusive" is when I'm told to remove Comodo or Threatfire (trying to scare me  about some sort of "serious" conflict by either program w/Avast)...or that turning off webshield eliminates Avast's anitvirus protection. That is certainly not true, it just turns off..er..webshiled. You are otherwise protect. So whether you turn off webshield or, as I do, change port 80 to some other port...as long as you have Comodo Pro w/Defender and/or Threatfire running, you already have the equivalent of Webshield.

We are (I wonder under Heaven why) still trying to assist you despite your "I know better than you" attitude.

Spreading disinformaation is hardly assisting anyone. The bad advice was so OBVIOUSLY bad, of course I'm p'o'd. I had to figure this out myself, on some other  sites. And the answer is what I came up with...because this webshield blocking is an unresolved problem that will someday be resolved. Until then, turn it off, and use Threatfire for your webshield...or Comodo's Defender.

That way, you have the best of all worlds, even with webshield turned off.

We really want you to succeed with avast ... if you do not want to please go somewhere else and let them deal with your attitude.

I have succeeded. What you don't care to acknowlege, is the ridiculous disinformation being spread by several participants...which I've pointed out already, more than once.

Can we work together ... or do you need to move on?

How arrogantly spoken! Can't admit to disinformation spread by your associates, so you scapegoat. NOT very good representation of Avast. It is YOU who should move on...you only confuse users and inspire them to switch to some other antivirus.

pewterbot9

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2009, 02:52:11 AM »
Comodo developers have acknowledged an issue between CIS 3.8x and Avast. A fix is forthcoming.

And until then, you can safely turn off webshield. It's much ado about nothing.

Why does this always happen? ??? ::)
I've gave up on Comodo due to a lot of issues with avast WebShield. Sooner or later, problems...

Don't blame Comodo...if push comes to shove, keep Comodo...and you don't even need to get rid of Avast, it's a great antivirus...just turn off webshield. It's a non-issue anyway. As one participant in Comodo's message board said:

Josh, Why do I need a Webshield? All the webshield is doing is scanning the file in a TEMP folder, that the on access scans anyway.

Using webshields\email scanners aren't scanning it " In the air" it's being done on your pc.

Here's the link:

https://forums.comodo.com/general_security_questions_and_comments_not_product_related/do_you_really_need_a_webshieldemail_scanner-t26466.15.html

normishmael

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:18 AM »
Pewterbot9
"It's a non-issue anyway."

If this thread is your responce to a non-issue,
really bad things must happen when you are
faced with a "Major Problem"

BILL G

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »
   I think we have a Cause + Effect Problem.

I run a P4  2GHZ  512 Mem

XP SP2  3Mbps Cable

My  Paranoid Hobbyist Security Setup

AVAST

ZAF V5.5.094

PG  V3.5

WinPatrol  V15.5

ThreatFire  V4.1.0

GSS  sometimes

Spyware Blaster

WWDC  V 1.4.1

Seconfig  XP

Open DNS

IMO AVAST plays very well with Others

I can Block or Cause  AVAST or WebShield to not work right

with ZAF, PG, WP, TF, + GSS.  If any of these Programs   

Screw up they can cause  WebShield to Fail also.

I have had NET Connection problems over the years.

Never has the problem been AVAST or WebShield.

It has always been one of the Other Programs or Settings.

I do not know all the Details of How AVAST works but for Me it 

Works Very Well.

When Forum Member with a Thousand + Posts or a ALWIL

Team Member answers a ? or Details how AVAST  Works I

Read + Learn.

Give these Forum Members some  RESPECT