Author Topic: Two more skins  (Read 10258 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Two more skins
« on: May 28, 2003, 07:29:44 PM »
For anyone interested, we've added two more skins to the avast download site... ;D

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_71.html

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

shgoh

Re:Two more skins
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 09:44:26 PM »
AWESOME!!!! ;D ;D

Omik

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 10:38:56 PM »
Nice :D
The Red Circle is rather special ;D
Regards
Omik

drahnier

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 06:31:19 AM »
For anyone interested, we've added two more skins to the avast download site... ;D

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_71.html

Vlk

This might not be what you want to hear, but: I don't like the idea of skinning for an AV ptogram very much. So can I use avast4! without any skins? So that it "inherits" the current XP skin?

Dspite of this: My congrats for your revamped website. Looks very professional (and thus heavily contrasts the toyish thimes advertised).

shgoh

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 08:29:11 AM »
it seems really hard to satisfy everyone.. :-\ :-\

but vlk....keep up the great work...MORE skins plsss...hahahahaha.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 08:50:51 AM »
drahnier,

I understand your point. That's why we designed avast to have 2 distinct user interfaces - the Simple one (being skinnable), and the Enhanced one (being much like a normal Windows app). The fact that the Enhanced user interface (which is, by the way, much more powerful than the Simple one) didn't make it to the Home Edition is maybe pitiful, but the decision was made and that's all I can say about that. ;)

To make the Simple user interface look like a stanard Win app is actually quite hard because it's not only its look, but also the way users use it, that is different. It's really much more like operating a CD player than a normal program...

Anyway, for conservative souls, I may suggest trying the Low Res skin which is by default hidden by the program and is only used on computers with 256 or less colors. To access the skin, go to the <avast>\data\skin folder, and rename the file "Low Res.asws" to <anything>.asws. After this change, you should be able to normally choose the skin in the Skin Browser in avast.

Dspite of this: My congrats for your revamped website. Looks very professional (and thus heavily contrasts the toyish thimes advertised).

Thanks, we're glad you like it. :)

Cheers,
Vlk

drahnier

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 11:13:11 AM »
drahnier,

I understand your point. That's why we designed avast to have 2 distinct user interfaces - the Simple one (being skinnable), and the Enhanced one (being much like a normal Windows app). The fact that the Enhanced user interface (which is, by the way, much more powerful than the Simple one) didn't make it to the Home Edition is maybe pitiful, but the decision was made and that's all I can say about that. ;)

To make the Simple user interface look like a stanard Win app is actually quite hard because it's not only its look, but also the way users use it, that is different. It's really much more like operating a CD player than a normal program...

Anyway, for conservative souls, I may suggest trying the Low Res skin which is by default hidden by the program and is only used on computers with 256 or less colors. To access the skin, go to the <avast>\data\skin folder, and rename the file "Low Res.asws" to <anything>.asws. After this change, you should be able to normally choose the skin in the Skin Browser in avast.

Thanks, we're glad you like it. :)

Cheers,
Vlk

Discovering and activating the low-res theme actually was the very first" tweaking" I did ...

jakr8

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 10:53:50 AM »
 ::)
For anyone interested, we've added two more skins to the avast download site...

Yeah thanks I saw the add on Avast Home Edition & downloaded red_circle.aswcs
I installed it the skins folder, it has a different file extension than the other skins is only 222Kb (the others are larger) & it doesnt work ??
It brings out the
conservative soul
in me  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 06:31:49 PM »
Too complicated :)

Just click on the .aswcs file (located anywhere) and let avast do its job!
It should install automatically! If you're using IE, it's even enough to click on the Download icon on the web page - it gets installed automatically...

Vlk

jakr8

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 09:59:25 AM »
Too complicated

Yeah must be!
Just click on the .aswcs file (located anywhere) and let avast do its job!
Did this but got an Avast unknown error saying<name> skin not loaded properly repeated about 15-20 times.
Anyway I got avast to do everyting for me  menu\skins\ moreskins & it downloaded & installed red circle for me so its working now, pity though, I like to pretend I'm doing something right & there's bugger all on telly :)