Author Topic: Safari challenges Chrome on Web app speed!!!!!!!  (Read 14136 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Safari challenges Chrome on Web app speed!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:09:29 PM »
Takes exactly few seconds to add extensions.checkCompatibility as boolean to about:config and set it to false. Restart browser and voila.
Rarely ever any extension breaks. So far GMail Notifier, FireGestures, Foxmarks and AdBlock Plus work without any problems.
You will agree that this is a way to quite some instability if you have a lot of extensions... ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
-= Hope it retains good speed after its been out of beta..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »
For me what's important is 'Which one is SAFER'
Speed is secondary.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »
-= Looks like a very big competition between IE8, Safari 4 & Firefox who currently testing betas..
avast! 9 RC1

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »
I wonder why no one ever mentions Opera. They innovated half of features commonly used in browsers these days. Yet they are not mentioned at all.
Tabs and mouse gestures are just one of these features.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
I wonder why no one ever mentions Opera. They innovated half of features commonly used in browsers these days. Yet they are not mentioned at all.
Opera cannot open all website in their best view, it's why I don't like it, sometimes (rarely) i try it when I use dial-up Internet or in JAVA based mobile :)

-= Looks like a very big competition between IE8, Safari 4 & Firefox who currently testing betas..
yes! it's hard to choose between Firefox and IE 8 RC1, finally I said, Firefox!! the interface has less delay to response :)

For me what's important is 'Which one is SAFER'
Speed is secondary.
I think both IE and FF has enough points to say "SAFE" to them, Firefox with his add-ons and IE with the plug-ins...
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »

Opera is a great browser, but it suffers from a very small market share. Its a shame because as you said they really did develop most of the features we take for granted today.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »
Opera cannot open all website in their best view, it's why I don't like it, sometimes (rarely) i try it when I use dial-up Internet or in JAVA based mobile :)

That isn't entirely the fault of Opera as it is a wc3 html standards compliant browser, so if the web site isn't built to those same standards then there are likely to be display issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
@DavidR: when I can use Firefox or IE or Safari to see all web-site in their view why should I hurt myself to use Opera?!

we cannot ignore MANY website because they are not working with Opera (Or WC3)... instead, I can Change ONE BROWSER and see ALL WEBSITE in their best view :)

CharleyO

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 07:48:52 PM »

Hmmm ... I've used Opera for years and have no issues opening any websites I have been to so far.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

Hmmm ... I've used Opera for years and have no issues opening any websites I have been to so far.

Opera and Safari are the most standards compliant browsers. In theory almost every site should work, except ones that use ActiveX.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
@DavidR: when I can use Firefox or IE or Safari to see all web-site in their view why should I hurt myself to use Opera?!

we cannot ignore MANY website because they are not working with Opera (Or WC3)... instead, I can Change ONE BROWSER and see ALL WEBSITE in their best view :)

I have tried Opera several times and I simply don't like the interface (I much prefer firefox), all I'm pointing out that this problem isn't of Opera's making. If as you say you also used it for browsing via a java mobile then you are once again adding another complication as browsing via a mobile would generally require that the site has wap pages.

I strongly doubt that the many web sites can't be displayed in Opera or there would be huge media publicity about this and we just aren't seeing it.

If a web designer isn't conforming to wc3 standards then they are doing a disservice to the site owner, as it restricts access to his site that he paid good money for the design, etc.

I designed a number of web sites (many years ago now) and used a wc3 validator against the code to get rid of the most obvious issues. At that time I had a copy of the most common browsers (including Opera) and view all the pages with the different browsers until they all displayed the page the same, which wasn't easy but most certainly possible.

So me I never blame a browser which is standards compliant for the failure of the designer to comply with standards, that is after all why they are called standards, to ensure it works for all browsers. The obvious exception being those with activeX and they are becoming fewer as I don't often bump into those with firefox and that generally isn't a deal breaker as only the activeX element won't work, which for me is just fine as activeX can be a malware magnet.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Homepage
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 09:07:14 PM »
@DavidR: Thanks DavidR for reply and I respect it.
one of the problem that I -as a Web Developer- have with Opera, is that when I am programming a web site and when I want to make it compatible with Opera, I need to use a lower version of CSS and Scheme, don't you think Opera need to keep their engine compatible with latest version of codes?
Yes, in this World Wide of Web, most of developers keep using an older version of codes to keep their web site compatible with any browser, but... IE7+ and Firefox 3+ are showing all web site with any kind of codes very well and would just act different about the ActiveX... :)
please tell me honest about everything that I say and think wrong.
:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
That is to a certain extent the price of progress, standards often follow behind the crest of the wave. If that version of CSS isn't yet covered by any associated standard then those strict standards compliant browsers won't use it.

I haven't really kept pace with web design developments so I don't really know what the latest standards are in relation to CSS so I can't really say, it is a very rare occasion that I use CSS in normal browsing and I only have 1 site that I have a CSS link for.

That said, CSS isn't related to how a site is displayed just how a user might be informed about updates to the particular site. So I don't know if that would be covered by a specific standard and perhaps shouldn't be a problem as such for a browser to include the latest developments in that area, but I'm just not familiar enough to say with any degree of confidence.

Even IE8 is becoming more standards compliant and that by all accounts break some sites that were previously optimised for IE.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »

-= Avant is a better one than Opera for me.. It was kinda light on resources & can view pages good.. I think it uses IE engine to run..
avast! 9 RC1