Author Topic: Program crash when scan 99%  (Read 2704 times)

Daniel F

Program crash when scan 99%
« on: March 01, 2009, 02:10:38 AM »
Hi,
Any idea why Avast 4 Home would crash (needs to be stopped from task manager) when a scan reaches 99% complete?  I'm running Vista using Windows Firewall.  Spybot is also installed on the system.
Should I uninstall and reinstall?

niko

Re: Program crash when scan 99%
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Hi Daniel F,
I don't use Vista so...
But maybe you can schedule an Avast scan at boot time to see what happen?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

Also, let's say clearly: if during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »
Its not because you vista i got vista here and its never crashing

so i think a complety unistall with avast tool remove and reinstall will maybe fix if im not wrong

Daniel F

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your suggestions. 
Only the program itself freezes.  Looking at task manager it says that Avast's CPU use is still at 3-4% - not sure about the hard disk though, nor whether it's always the same folder (it's always at 99% ).  Will try your suggestions and post the results in a day or two.
Cheers!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 12:00:16 AM »
Will try your suggestions and post the results in a day or two.
We'll be here to help ;)
The best things in life are free.