Author Topic: How to unblock or allow a Blocked .Exe File which avast believe to be infected?  (Read 66526 times)

prohacker7

As the title states, I would like to allow a .exe for a game I play but avast detects it has infected.

I been playing Cabal Online for months and have no problems and other scanner report it as false positives.

How would I allow this .exe to run because I don't like disabling avast just to play.

*I click "no action" but it still does not launch the application it just blocks it and does nothing with the file.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Hi,

if you are absolutely sure that it's a false positive you can do the following.
Look in the task bar for the little blue ball with an a on it. right click it and select "Program Setting..."
in the list on the left choose exclusions then on the right you'll see three buttons. Choose browse and then select the path to the executable. That should solve your problem.
Post back with results.
cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Can you inform the file as being a false positive? (click on the bottom right of the virus warning message).

Also to confirm if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. You can use VirScan also.
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, as posted before, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

This link is a tutorial on how to help correct a virus detection that you believe to be false:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.msg204838#msg204838
or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7779.msg62586#msg62586
The best things in life are free.