Author Topic: crypt32 error  (Read 24142 times)

crofty59

crypt32 error
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »
Hi

In event Viewer I am getting error in crypt32. see below

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

I have windows update set to notify me of any high security alerts, but not to download them or install.
This is working fine.

I tried doing a bit of searching but couldn't really find much except to uninstall it through windows  Add/Remove Windows Components in Add remove in Control panel.

I uninstalled and reinstalled (Unticked and reticked  in update root certificates), still getting same error.

The computer is working fine
Windows XP  Home edition with SP3
Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: crypt32 error
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 05:54:11 AM »
With respect, I must ask ... then how behind are you with Microsoft security updates? 

I find it hard to believe in these times that anyone who cares about the security of their systems and bothers to post in these forums would want to tell us that they do not accept Microsoft automatic updates.  Do you also decline avast automatic VPS updates too?

Why not try applying all Microsoft security updates as a first step?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:03:08 AM by alanrf »

crofty59

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:56:11 AM »
With respect, I must ask ... then how behind are you with Microsoft security updates? 

I find it hard to believe in these times that anyone who cares about the security of their systems and bothers to post in these forums would want to tell us that they do not accept Microsoft automatic updates.  Do you also decline avast automatic VPS updates too?

alanrf  what arrogance

With respect I am appalled that you assume that because someone doesn't automatically allow Windows updates to download and install is not security conscience, as i stated i have it to notify me of any critical updates, (which then i go to their web site and download.)

I am fully updated with all Microsoft updates as if you assume for some reason i"m not, is strange why i would have SP3 installed.

Over the years i have tried to learn all about computers and i will admit i struggle a lot.
But i have always installed all critical updates and might i say most of the optional ones as well.

I am so upset i now do not care if i get a answer to my question about crypt32.

If i answered what i really felt i would be banned.

IF the moderators feel they need to remove this so be it, but i would find that hypercritical if they do.

Also your remark about avast is also out of line.

With respect alanrf  if you take offense at this i really don't care.

Cheers

Negeltu

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »

It's this type of aggressive response that turns people off to forums like this.   crofty was asking for a little possible insight and then has to go on the defensive due to this type of blameful "know-it-all" response. 

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »
crofty,

I am not offended nor did I intend to offend.  I apologize that my comments (by which I stand) upset you. 

It may (or may not) surprise you that I do care and that I gave some thought to my reply to you because I recalled your sensitivity to some of your posts in times past.  In replying to you I was aware of that yet I truly believe that sometimes tough love is the best love and my reply to you was thought out and was deliberate. 

If one of the folks I support (for free) told me (as you told the forum) that they do not accept Microsoft's automatic updates then they know that they would be off my list of support.  Yes, my comments were intended for you and, I hope, to make you think about your security policy with thought to your previous posts about problems you have posted.

I hope you will change your stance on Microsoft security updates. 

Given that you find my response to you offensive I shall not bother you with any further response to issues posted by you unless you advise me otherwise.

Again with my apologies for hurting your feelings,

Alan   

crofty59

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »
alanrf

I am still at a loss, why are you refering to me about automatic updates, when as i have told you i have all the critical updates installed.

What is your problem when i have it to notify me about critical updates, and i go to windows update site to download them.

That aside it is nothing to do with my feelings.
Because i don't have it set to automatic updates, for some reason i am not security conscience.

Then you have the nerve to ask (Do you also decline avast automatic VPS updates too?)

All that said you  asked how far am i behind in Microsoft updates, i told you i am fully up to date.

I asked a question about crypt32 .
You went on about updates how far behind was i, was i even upto date with Avast VPS updates

Which i am fully updated.

As far i am concerned you are in the wrong.

This is also my last response to this.
cheers

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
This is what you said in your original post.

I have windows update set to notify me of any high security alerts, but not to download them or install.
This is working fine.

It was only later that you said:

which then i go to their web site and download

I think that it was not unreasonable to assume in your original post that you meant not all high security updates are installed.  Indeed, if you are fully up to date with all Microsoft updates then it it is unclear to me why you made the comment above in your original post without the later clarification.  It might have saved all this grief.

I have already apologized for offending you. 

And to quote you:

This is also my last response to this.
cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:15:47 PM »
crofty59, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 04:32:01 PM »
<snip>
I find it hard to believe ########### would want to tell us that they do not accept Microsoft automatic updates. 
<snip>

Guess what Alan,

I don't allow auto updates either, Notify but don't install, just as crofty59, however I'm on dial-up and have to be somewhat selective in my downloads with a 2 hour max connection time before my connection drops. I can reconnect but having lost the connection the update is screwed (technical term I know).

So it doesn't always follow that because someone denies auto update, download and install that they don't update their system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 06:57:51 PM »
crofty59,
Have you retried the update since this time out error?
It's usually related to a server error not your system.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

crofty59

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:00:09 AM »
crofty59, is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?

HI Tech
Thanks for your reply this is what is in the advent viewer

Error Event ID: 8

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Cheers

<snip>
I find it hard to believe ########### would want to tell us that they do not accept Microsoft automatic updates. 
<snip>

Guess what Alan,

I don't allow auto updates either, Notify but don't install, just as crofty59, however I'm on dial-up and have to be somewhat selective in my downloads with a 2 hour max connection time before my connection drops. I can reconnect but having lost the connection the update is screwed (technical term I know).

So it doesn't always follow that because someone denies auto update, download and install that they don't update their system.

Hi David
Thanks for your comments, hope one day you will be able to upgrade your inter net connection.

Cheers

crofty59,
Have you retried the update since this time out error?
It's usually related to a server error not your system.

Hi bob3160
Thanks Bob3160 for your reply

When the update occurs it is down automatically, and the only reason i knew i had a error, is i often just check the "Computer Management Advent Viewer.

I have tried turning it of through the Add/Remove Windows Components in Add remove in Control panel.. Rebooted and returned it on.

So far i have yet to see crypt32 appear yet in the advent viewer, when it does i will post if it goes into error or says it updated successfully

Cheers

PS Since then i have rebooted and the same error has re occurred.

Cheers once again
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:30:28 AM by crofty59 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
Sorry, I'm empty... some time ago I've tried to get help from Microsoft about Windows Updates... man, what a nightmare...

crofty59

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 05:40:40 AM »
Sorry, I'm empty... some time ago I've tried to get help from Microsoft about Windows Updates... man, what a nightmare...

Thanks for your help Tech  very much appreciated.

Strange i got another error slightly different. now getting 2 errors

Previous error

Latest error as well today
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

AH well i will go and google this one and see what i get.

Thanks to everyone who assisted.

Cheers   

crofty59

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »
Hi all

I decided to remove my firewall (Comodo CIS firewall with defense plus), as this was the only thing i could think off.

Now i am not getting any errors, and crypt32 has now updated.

Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list cab from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootstl.cab>

Successful auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt>

Hopefully this will be the end of this problem.

At the moment i am using XP firewall, i will most likely download and install Zone Alarm Free

Cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »
I decided to remove my firewall (Comodo CIS firewall with defense plus)
Again, Comodo messing with Windows Updates ;P

At the moment i am using XP firewall, i will most likely download and install Zone Alarm Free
I'll suggest you keep only Windows Firewall and wait for next coming avast firewall.