Author Topic: What providers do I really need?  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What providers do I really need?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 03:42:37 PM »
-= its still more recommendable to leave all providers running.. well, avast is a light antivirus so a few drop in speed wont sacrifice your enjoyment while using pc..
I feel the same...
The best things in life are free.

cod head

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »
I agree with you chronoboi001 and Tech.I have all running all the time.Better safe than sorry.I can understand some users that are not on broadband reducing some resources though.Its a case of horses for courses. ;)

CharleyO

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »

I am on dial-up and have all providers running except for one ... Outlook/Exchange provider since I do not have either. I have no problems while running the others even on dial-up. My system is not new neither, being 5 years old a little later this year.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
I agree with you chronoboi001 and Tech.I have all running all the time.Better safe than sorry.I can understand some users that are not on broadband reducing some resources though.Its a case of horses for courses. ;)

Your connection has nothing to do with resources used other than the providers you actually require for the programs you use to provide protection.

I too am a dial-up user and I only use 4 providers, because I don't require the others as I don't use P2P applications (totally out of the question on dial-up), I don't use Instant Messaging (never felt the need) nor do I use MS Outlook, only Outlook Express, so I don't need the Outlook Exchange provider.

I don't notice any impact using either the network or web shields, the network shields resource use is negligible and the web shield's is relatively low, but that is the one doing the most work outside of the standard shield.

So if there are some shields that are specifically for different functions, like P2P or IM and MS Outlook, then if you don't use any of those applications, then you don't need the associated shield (Terminate it).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
-= Yahoo! Mail has a web scanner so there are less possible virus intrusions that's why many people shut down their email scanner.. Moreover, IMs have gotten more secured nowadays.. Files being received thru IMs are scanned by avast [or manually scanned by the user itself] that's why many turns off the IM Shield too..

-= I guess they've got a point with that..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Mr.Agent

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
Me all is running excepted for two which i didnt need its p2p and outlook so its the way for the user to configure his Anti Virus

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
-= Yahoo! Mail has a web scanner so there are less possible virus intrusions that's why many people shut down their email scanner.. Moreover, IMs have gotten more secured nowadays.. Files being received thru IMs are scanned by avast [or manually scanned by the user itself] that's why many turns off the IM Shield too..

-= I guess they've got a point with that..

To me that doesn't provide a good reason to shut down email scanning. The Internet Mail provider I would say should not only be enabled but set to High sensitivity. With it set to High there is a function in the Heuristic settings which could detect multiple emails sent from your system in a given time. This may be your first indication that your system has a hidden/undetected spambot on your system.

These spambots, don't need to use your email client (even if you don't have one) as they usually come with their own very small SMTP client so it doesn't need anything on your system, just your connection.

IMs have got more secure, you only have to browse the forums to see that doesn't appear to be the case and again a second opinion never hurt anyone.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 02:16:08 AM »
-= Is Frostwire included in the monitored programs in P2P shield..?
avast! 9 RC1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 02:27:25 AM »
You only need to check the list of supported P2P applications (P2P Shield, Customize) to see it isn't on the list, so no it isn't monitored.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »
-= Sadly, it wasn't on the list..

-= But I heard that Frostwire is from Limewire itself.. So maybe, Frostwire is detected as Limewire..

-= Am I making sense..? Huh..? I just want to know if I have to scan files manually to prevent intrusions..

-= Thanks for the help..
avast! 9 RC1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:07 PM »
Even coming from Limewire is no guarantee it would be recognised as limewire, from the same P2P provider detailed view you should see the last scanned and scanned count fields change if it is indeed being scanned, but I doubt that is the case.

If frostwire has a means of having your AV scan the final downloaded file (many p2p programs do) then enter C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe, which would then scan the downloaded file.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
-= I'll tell it to my cousin right away..
avast! 9 RC1