Author Topic: Unable to unschedule boot time scan, help me please =)  (Read 14448 times)

Rimmel

Please close thread as i no longer have this problem.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 08:46:11 AM »
No CharleyO you are not wrong, you are correct.....i didn't know how to set teatimer to show the changes. "I am only human"

And it was never my intention to seem like i was suggesting that Spybot is a bad program, cause tis not a bad program....i like it lots.

Sorry, all i wanted was to fix my bootime avast scanning, that is all. Now it is fixed and i will try Spybot again. As i said in an above post tis a good program.

Thank you.

Tech, CharleyO is right in his or her statement.....but at the time the teatimer was the furthest thing from my mind.

Anyway thank you for your assitance Tech, i do really appreciate it. =))

CharleyO

Re: Unable to unschedule boot time scan, help me please =)
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:16 AM »

No problem,  Rimmel_Gal ... I am glad you got it sorted out. I was mainly explaining to Tech what happened and wanted your comfirmation.   :)

I was sure what it was when you mentioned you uninstalled Spybot. If you look in the Settings section of the Spybot program, you can set it to show those dialogs so that you know when something wants to change registry settings. As for myself, I like to know when something wants to change the registry and make the decision to allow the change or not. And, it helps prevent "mysteries" such as this one.   ;)

These will not happen often unless you make many changes to your computer that effects the registry. These will occur during MS updates as most of those will make changes to the registry. New program installations will add to the registry and since you know you are installing a new program, you know to allow the change(s). There have only been a few times that something wanted to change my registry that was not instigated by my actions but it was nice to know so that I could not allow the malicious changes. Without those dialogs, I would not have known until it was too late.

See the image below for the highlighted entry you need to checkmark. Click the image to enlarge it.

EDIT: By the way, see "gender" under my name to the left.   :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:51:34 AM by CharleyO »

Rimmel

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:59 AM »
Okay thank you CharleyO, the image you have posted will help me and i will set it as you have it set in spybot. :)

Now if i reinstall Spybot will it start fresh or will it resume the old settings thereby forcing my bootimescan to reactivate?

Sorry if i am being a pain. :)

Because i really feel a lil exposed without Spybot, it has helped & protected me lots over the last year.

Whoops!  :-[ i did not notice the gender bit sorry  :-[

PS: Why am i not able to select my gender, now that you have mentioned it i am looking for that option everywhere but i am unable to find the setting anywhere? 

Added: i can see Gender: in the summery but how do i set it?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:08:18 AM by Rimmel_Gal »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
It is one of the options in the profile settings (the Profile button on all pages), unfortunately if you didn't set it when you first joined the forums, you may not be able to add it until you have 20 posts or greater.

- The problem comes from drive by spammers, who having registered put objectionable or commercial links in their profile signature to try and gain link promotion, etc.

There have also been cases of the PM function being abused to spam forum members, so you will notice that you can't use the PM function either.

Unfortunately because of the actions of others legitimate members suffer by the actions to prevent this spamming.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 10:18:35 PM »

No problem ... you are not being a pain as we are glad to help.   :)

When you reinstall Spybot, it should not resume old settings.

ic00668

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 08:10:04 AM »
I created my own batch (cmd) file in Vista to schedule a Boot Time Scan (on next Boot) using the Sched.exe tool Avast has in the application folder. Then I setup a Vista Task Schedule with my desired frequency to have to my batch file run and set a new Boot Time Scan. Remember! it just sets up a scan for the next boot. See the contents of my file below, yes I left in the remarks for my reading pleasure. This batch file has been tested only on my Sony Laptop with Vista Prem. Sp2.  You may copy and paste it into your own filename.cmd (or *.bat) file, then add a Task Schedule to run the filename.cmd on your own frequency.

rem usage:
rem   sched /A:area [/RA:action [/RS:reply] ] [/archives]   - schedules launching
rem    area = * or folder1;folder2 ...
rem     action = delete or move or chest or repair or ignore
rem     reply = yes or no
rem   sched /D   - unschedules boot-time scanner launching
rem   sched /F:"file"   - schedules delayed file operations (listed in given file)
rem  sched /U   - unschedules boot-time scanner and any scheduled file operations
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\sched.exe"  /A:c:\*.* /RA:delete /RS:yes /archives

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »
Welcome ic00668

I believe /RA:delete should be /RA:chest as that would be the safest and detected infections could be restored from the Chest in the case of a false positive.

Jack 1000

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Interesting Thread!

Avast is a very strong and powerful program that when there are issues like the OP stated, it is often the cause of other programs interfering.  I used to have the big guys for scanning in addition to Avast:

Adaware
Spybot S & D
Windows Defender
Spyware Blaster

And a lot of these programs would slow down my computer, and conflict with Avast's protector shields.  (Because the others would have shields of their own that would conflict.)  Because of Avast's power on its own, there comes a time when you start adding things that too much security can cause speed processes to be sacrificed.  So right now, I just use Avast, my Windows XP Firewall, and Spyware Blaster. (SB is a protective shield not a scanner, and as such is not a memory intrusive program.)  My system is now quicker and smoother in running and performance.

Jack