Author Topic: PC-Tools Vs. COMODO Anti-Virus?  (Read 16865 times)

don67

PC-Tools Vs. COMODO Anti-Virus?
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
Hi Mates, i wan't your opinion here wich one is better both of them are new version.

PC-Tools - Current Version: 6.0.0.17
Released: February 26, 2009

COMODO - Curret Version 3.8.65951.477
Release Date: February 26, 2009

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: PC-Tools Vs. COMODO Anti-Virus?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:39:51 AM »
Hard to say. But i'd probably opt for PCTools because i have good experience with them. Donno why. Only thing that attracts me with CIS is Buffer Overflow protection and heuristics that are still in the works (CIMA based) and integrated BOClean. They say it'll come around end of march. At that point i'd probably prefer CIS.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

don67

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
i'm currently using cis the problem is a lot of false positives detections :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
If I have to choose, PCTools.
But maybe you can look at Online Armour firewall.
The best things in life are free.

don67

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »
If I have to choose, PCTools.
But maybe you can look at Online Armour firewall.

Sir i'm asking about antivirus :) same here i like the PC-Tools against OA :)

sded

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
Neither of them is nearly as good as Avast!  ;)  That's why we are all here.  You can do a search for comparisons vs Avast! .

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:24:07 PM »
Sir i'm asking about antivirus :)
Sorry, my fault.
Antivirus? avast ;)
Oh, take care, both you're asking are much much weaker than avast. I'm not biased. It's a fact.

don67

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
Sir i'm asking about antivirus :)
Sorry, my fault.
Antivirus? avast ;)
Oh, take care, both you're asking are much much weaker than avast. I'm not biased. It's a fact.

ok sir i'll go back to avast free version ;)

this is my security setup:
avast free version
PC-Tools Personal Firewall
PC-Tools Threat Fire
Windows Defender
COMODO Verification Engine

is this a good security setup?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
is this a good security setup?
You can use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

don67

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »
Hi Sir Tech, why this simple test file can not detect with avast after i rename the note pad "fakevirus.exe" if you scan in manual it will detected.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

then save it with the name fakevirus.exe
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:13:20 PM by don67 »

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:26 PM »
I haven't used any other anti-virus software in the last year apart from Avast which means I can't exactly take puck shots at the competition (given that I haven't used the software). However I have used McAfee, AVG, Panda, RAV (I'm curious if any one else has used this), Kaspersky and Norton a few years back. All of them had good points but mostly bad (at least from my perspective at that time). Avast is the only one that suits me best right now and will continue to do so for a long time (hopefully).

But since we are talking about Firewalls as well, I wanted to get a second opinion. I installed Commodo FW (only the firewall) which to my surprise installed flawlessly. The issue I have with it is that I somehow felt less safe.
I am an average user who has taken apart old desktops and one laptop and who uses the computer on a daily basis. But I am somehow worried when a software asks me to validate connections or create rules. This Makes Commodo a bad choice since I am not certain what I am validating when I'm being asked by the FW to confirm a connection. At the same time being constantly interrupted by the firewall is annoying. So after less than half a day I uninstalled Commodo and went back to my old Vista Firewall. To make sure I didn't miss anything I created a restore point prior to the installation, and after using the uninstall program provided by Commodo I did a system restore to that point in order to insure that the settings were as they were before installation.

Now to the actual question. Apart from offering outbound protection what else is there in Commodo FW that the Vista FW doesn't have?

Thank you.

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

sded

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 07:40:11 PM »
Did you install the HIPS (D+) along with the firewall.  This is where the anti-leak protection is in case something wants to phone home or send something out without your permission.  Avast! (and other proxy-type programs) facilitates this problem by putting ashmaisv.exe and ashwebsv.exe in place as the actual internet connections, so that proxy connections to these routines via localhost do not show up as outbound connections to the firewall.  Other things like "check for update" often hijack your browser to make the connection and also don't show up.  Usually benign annoyance, but could also be malware.  If malware should also be caught by Avast! Standard Shield when it tries to execute, but the benign stuff won't be blocked.  If you are using the Vista firewall, take a look at Sphinx as a firewall control program-seems to get good reviews, but haven't used it myself.  I used the Vista firewall with Avast! for quite a while when I first got Vista and had no problems.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Did you install the HIPS (D+) along with the firewall.
No idea what this is. I only installed the firewall with proactive protection (this being givn as the most secure setting possible)

I used the Vista firewall with Avast! for quite a while when I first got Vista and had no problems.
So you've switched. What firewall are you using and do you consider it is better than vista's integrated FW. (another issue with Commodo FW was that My PC was discoverable on the network. With The Windows FW this is not the case. I tried the stealth setting in Commodo but these did nothing that I could see?
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
Did you install the HIPS (D+) along with the firewall.
No idea what this is. I only installed the firewall with proactive protection (this being givn as the most secure setting possible)
D+ is Defense+, the HIPS part of Comodo, or the proactive protection like you've said.

sded

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 08:06:25 PM »
If you got a bunch of alerts that said they were from D+ instead of the firewall, you can tell you installed the D+ HIPS.  I used the Comodo CFP firewall/D+ for about a year, but finally gave up when they pretty much abandoned fixing and improving it to work on their AV Suite.  Currently have Online Armor, which is has much better usability, plus some features that I find very useful as a mobile wifi user.  Along with the outbound/antileak/HIPS protection.  They are also much more responsive (like Avast!) to fixing your problems.  I use logging, for example, to find problems, and having that controllable in the firewall is a big advantage.  If you just want to run your firewall and Avast! and be reasonably well protected without a lot of interaction, the Vista firewall is a pretty good way to go.  And the Vista firewall does have outbound protection, simplified if you want to play around with the Sphinx software to set it up.