Author Topic: PC-Tools Vs. COMODO Anti-Virus?  (Read 16908 times)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: PC-Tools Vs. COMODO Anti-Virus?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »

Currently have Online Armor, which is has much better usability, plus some features that I find very useful as a mobile wifi user.  Along with the outbound/antileak/HIPS protection.  They are also much more responsive (like Avast!) to fixing your problems.  I use logging, for example, to find problems, and having that controllable in the firewall is a big advantage.  If you just want to run your firewall and Avast! and be reasonably well protected without a lot of interaction, the Vista firewall is a pretty good way to go.  And the Vista firewall does have outbound protection, simplified if you want to play around with the Sphinx software to set it up.

The users at download.com give it some good marks:
http://www.download.com/Online-Armor-Personal-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10426782.html

I am wondering though if outbound protection is worth a bit of extra work. Compared to commodo it seems to have a more user friendly approach
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »
Hi Mates, i wan't your opinion here wich one is better both of them are new version.

Going back to your original question. Both of these are free for commercial use.
Is that the reason you're considering them apart from other free-for-home-use products?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:09 AM »
Hi Mates, i wan't your opinion here wich one is better both of them are new version.

Going back to your original question. Both of these are free for commercial use.
Is that the reason you're considering them apart from other free-for-home-use products?

Hmh, I did not know that. As a matter of personal opinion, I find that this is odd ("free for commercial use").  generally if you have a small business that uses computers, then you are most likely going to require special support since you are dependent on keeping your computers up and running in order to make money. So what would be the point of this?
On that note, can someone explain why home users get to use Avast for free (apart from the slight differences offered by the pro version)?

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 03:29:36 AM »
Hi Sir Tech, why this simple test file can not detect with avast after i rename the note pad "fakevirus.exe" if you scan in manual it will detected.

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

then save it with the name fakevirus.exe
Slightly OT, but try opening the file in notepad (rename the suffix to .txt if necessary) and check that there isn't a blank line above the text. Remove the blank line (if present), say "yes" to save the changes, rename it again to .exe (or .bat, or.com...) and see what happens.

Interestingly, neither Avast nor MBAM detect it with the line space present, but A2 does.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:19 AM »
There are specific rules for EICAR test file. You can read about those rules on EICAR download webpage.
avast! follows the rules to a letter, others do it their way by detecting EICAR variants and modifications that shouldn't be even detected when following those rules.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 07:20:50 AM »
Following on from RejZor...

The EICAR test file is not a virus. It should not be detected by an AV as a virus.
It is an agreed-to-by-convention means of demonstrating that the alerting part, not the detecting part, of an AV is functional.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

sded

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »
By all means give Online Armor a try.  It is user friendly, and has a setup program that will run a Safety Check Wizard to scan your existing files, or simply allow them all if you are sure you are not infected, so any future interaction will be because of new stuff you have added.  There is a free version that has the capabilities most needed by a casual user who doesn't want to do a lot of configuring.  Also removes pretty cleanly if you want to go back to the Vista firewall.  Try the latest public beta 3.1.0.26 at http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=6706 which is very near the next release version.

Currently have Online Armor, which is has much better usability, plus some features that I find very useful as a mobile wifi user.  Along with the outbound/antileak/HIPS protection.  They are also much more responsive (like Avast!) to fixing your problems.  I use logging, for example, to find problems, and having that controllable in the firewall is a big advantage.  If you just want to run your firewall and Avast! and be reasonably well protected without a lot of interaction, the Vista firewall is a pretty good way to go.  And the Vista firewall does have outbound protection, simplified if you want to play around with the Sphinx software to set it up.

The users at download.com give it some good marks:
http://www.download.com/Online-Armor-Personal-Firewall/3000-10435_4-10426782.html

I am wondering though if outbound protection is worth a bit of extra work. Compared to commodo it seems to have a more user friendly approach

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
thanks sded,

I'll try it (not the beta... not too keen on betas, but the version on Download.com is from 19 Jan 2009 so it's recent enough). I'll post back with findings/experience

Cheers
Computer Systems:

sded

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »
3.0.0.190 is actually from October 7 2008, so there are a lot of changes since then, but still last released version.  Next release should be any day now, but that one should at least give you a flavor for using the program.  If you run into problems you can usually get quick answers at their forum at http://support.tallemu.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?f=10 .

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 11:51:06 PM »
Ok install with the exception of one thing. I was asked to update two drivers but the publisher was unknown so I denied the operation. Online armor installed and ran, slow at first but after it did the initial scan of which programs do what, it was ok. The one hiccup that i have with it is that for one reason or another my system is set to be discoverable on the network which I don't like. I used Commodo firewall and the same issue occurred. I'll let Online armor launch the new edition and then give users a while to use it. The problem with the network discovery seems to have to do something with Vista more than with the firewall.
The uninstall seemed uneventful and went well. So kudos for that.

Thank you again for your recommendation sded. I will keep Online armor as a possible substitute but only in a few months after most of the bugs have been worked out.
Computer Systems:

sded

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
I do a lot of mobile wifi over public networks, so have the same problem with all the firewalls.  They want to help you set your trusted network up so you can do sharing, incuding SSDP (is that what you mean by discoverable, port 1900?-if you mean on the internet with GRC tests, that is usually your router), and I have to go in and kill it all.  I have a network, but none of the other computers are known to me and I don't trust them or want to share with them.   If you uncheck the "trust" on the Network popup in OA, it does the really serious stuff, but doesn't block everything some might want.  BTW, I got them to add the "trust" box as a beta tester.  :)  As far as the unsigned drivers, they are still all over the place with Vista x32, and you just need to see if they are for something you recognize and allow them, or deny them and see what breaks.  Supposedly x64 changes all that, but I don't use it.  The new OA release is the result of another 4.5 months of beta testing, including public beta releases, so is of a caliber with the Avast! new releases.  I currently have no open bug reports with it, but they tried to add something in 3.1.0.27 that didn't work right under Vista and are now deciding whether to remove it or fix it before the release.  So something to keep an eye on in the nearer term too if you decide you need more protection.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 12:38:47 AM by sded »