Author Topic: On-demand scan only? (no services in the background)  (Read 16386 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: On-demand scan only? (no services in the background)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 02:58:12 AM »
I agree - I also think it's relatively easy to configure avast to be on-demand only.

Turn off self-defense and then use your favourite "autoruns" clone to disable all its auto-start items.

BTW Avast Home does not have a command-line scanner and updater (Avast Pro does) - so in order to use the program, you need to run the GUI (ashSimple.exe / ashSimpl2.exe), invoke a VPS update to grab the latest defs and fire the scan.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

anothermack

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
hello all,

I am trying this on-demand setup of avast home version.

Avoiding all resident services works, however:

When i run assimp.exe and then ask fo vps update, the new virdefs get downloaded allright in the avast folders, however nothing happens with them, meaning  that when i close an and reopen ashsimp.exe, the mentioned version is still the old one. Also reboot does not change this.

any help greatly appreciated,

Brgds
Mack

anothermack

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
Hello all,

for who's interested, I was able to make it work in meantime.  Now program status is showing last downloaded virdef status which corresponds with Avast website.

--->  Incorporating the new downloaded virdefs into the program only works apparently if you select 'UPDATE PROGRAM', instead of 'UPDATE VPS'...

Brgds,
mack

smage

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
Hi,
Perhaps you could try Bitdefender free.
It is only on demand.
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-Free-Edition.html