Author Topic: Avast Resident Protection for Windows 2000  (Read 5136 times)

ZomG

Avast Resident Protection for Windows 2000
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:51:05 PM »
Hello! The Avast Resident Protection's blue a-ball icon doesn't show up when I turn on my computer. It starts up on my other computer though, which uses Windows XP Pro Edition. Is it the OS problem? I was also wondering if there's a way to manually start up the Resident Protection. One more thing: what's the process name of the Resident Protection? Maybe it's already on; I just don't see the a-ball icon.
Thanks! :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Resident Protection for Windows 2000
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:46:59 PM »
The fact that the tray icon isn't displayed doesn't mean avast resident protection isn't running.

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

- Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZomG

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:25 AM »
Thanks for the help; it seems that it was just the a-ball icon not showing up on start up. I followed your instructions and made an ashdisp.exe shortcut to Desktop.
Thanks again! :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Whilst that works, you have to click it every time to place it on the system tray, it doesn't resolve why it happened. So I would suggest tying the other options and answering the other security software question, so we can hopefully get to the true cause and have a permanent solution.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Diazruanova

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:09:54 AM »
Hello! The Avast Resident Protection's blue a-ball icon doesn't show up when I turn on my computer. It starts up on my other computer though, which uses Windows XP Pro Edition. Is it the OS problem? I was also wondering if there's a way to manually start up the Resident Protection. One more thing: what's the process name of the Resident Protection? Maybe it's already on; I just don't see the a-ball icon.
Thanks! :)

I am running W2K and avast have been showing it´s icon fine since I first installed it several months ago, so it has to be some other thing what is preventing the icon from appearing. Why don´t you un-install completely and reinstall avast?

ZomG

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:42 AM »
To be honest, I first thought it was my avast, so I reinstalled it twice, but it didn't really aid the situation. I have AdAware, so maybe that's what is stopping it from showing the icon. My Win2k also never started up other programs that were supposed to start up whenever I booted the computer. I haven't tried the Scheduled Tasks program from the Control Panel, but that never seems to work. I'll give it a shot anyways. I also repaired the avast.
Avast Processes Running:
ashDisp.exe (after starting it up manually)
ashMaiSv.exe
ashServ.exe
AshWebSv.exe
AshUpdSv.exe
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:21:09 AM by ZomG »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 03:38:06 PM »
AdAware, apart from being a waste of perfectly good hard disk space (IMHO) would only get involved if you had the pro version with AdWatch as mentioned in my post. So do you have that ?

If that isn't the case, e.g. no AdWatch, then it would probably be easiest to create a new entry in the startup folder, not scheduled tasks.

Open windows explorer and navigate to your C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop folder, this is where XP has the desktop for individual users, I don't know where it is for win2k (I've never used it), but I'm sure you should be able to find it. Once found and opened, Drag the shortcut icon you created for the avast system try icon (ashDisp.exe), that should then start it automatically as a startup item.

ZomG

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 05:16:04 AM »
Thanks for the info on AdAware; I do have Pro + AdWatch, so I should be fine with space management. :)
The Scheduled Tasks for ashdisp.exe actually works for once. I couldn't find the startup item you mentioned; maybe Win2k doesn't have it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
Well I would certainly look at adwatch (quarantine or whatever it uses when blocking new start-up entries) as this has in the past killed new start-up entries such as the ashDisp.exe entry.

I didn't make any reference to Scheduled Tasks, in fact I said that wasn't what we are trying to achieve. So I really don't know what you are trying to achieve with that as I don't believe there is a way to schedule something to run on every boot, e.g. what we are trying to do.

We are trying to place an entry in the Startup folder I would imagine there is something similar in win2k folder structure (see image), unfortunately I have no knowledge of this OS.

I presume that it has the usual msconfig (System Configuration Utility), as I recall it being in win98. Check and see if there is an entry for ashDisp.exe that has been disabled.

ZomG

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
I made a rule for AdWatch so it wouldn't block my ashdisp.exe. I restarted after doing so, and now it works just fine. So it wasn't a problem of trying to start up, but rather just being blocked before it could start up. I found the startup folder, but I don't think I'll need it.
Thanks again for the help. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
You're welcome.