Author Topic: They won't let me purchase avast! Professional!  (Read 14604 times)

unbob

They won't let me purchase avast! Professional!
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:22:47 PM »
This is weird - my order to upgrade to avast! Professional is being rejected by element 5 apparently because I'm ordering while being in a country other than where my billing address is located. In this case, my billing address is in the USA and I'm currently in Baja California.

Regarding my order, I received an e-mail stating "we were unable to charge your credit card for your order". I placed my order twice using 2 different credit cards with the same result.

I verified that the credit card information on my order is correct and my credit card accounts are in good standing. I contacted my credit card banks and they informed me that no charge was received from either element 5 or ALWIL Software.

I'm assuming they determine my physical location using my IP address. The strange thing is I do all my personal business on the internet (credit cards, bank accounts, insurance policies, etc) while in Mexico and I've never, ever had a problem like this.

While in Mexico the past 4 months I have frequently purchased software (downloaded) and ordered various "stuff" (hard drive, camera, etc.) from amazon.com, zipzoomfly.com, buy.com, etc that I had delivered to a USA address. Again, never a problem!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Never had a merchant refuse my $$$ because I was in the "wrong" country - until now that is! :( ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: They won't let me purchase avast! Professional!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
Sounds weird, try contacting sales (at) avast (dot) com and see if they can check with element 5 about the IP address as it would appear to be wrong.

There are other payment methods I believe that you can use PayPal now in the Element5 payments, perhaps that might get round the Credit Card/IP problem. There was me thinking Baja, California was in the USA ??? so there must be something wrong with the IP whois checking.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 06:33:45 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

unbob

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
There was me thinking Baja, California was in the USA ??? so there must be something wrong with the IP whois checking.

Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur are both states of Mexico. So, I am definitely an American in Mexico!

Question: why does that disqualify me from purchasing ALWIL software???  ???

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 06:46:48 PM »

I don't know, but you should ask Sales (DavidR gave you the mail address)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
There was me thinking Baja, California was in the USA ??? so there must be something wrong with the IP whois checking.

Baja California Norte and Baja California Sur are both states of Mexico. So, I am definitely an American in Mexico!

Nice confusing name then.

It isn't specifically avast/Alwil software, but the handling by Element5 (and any other stuff they process), and my guess is that they are trying to protect against internet fraud and fraudulent transactions. So they are trying to protect you the card holder, but you would think that depending on what verification takes place it should be possible to authorise.

For example my credit card does an additional step if the sum is greater than a certain figure, now if that passes I don't think that they would block something in the same instances as yours. A lot more companies are tightening down on internet transaction security, though that doesn't help you in this case.

There are also US Resellers/Distributors, I don't know if you would experience the same issues, http://www.avast.com/eng/distributors-and-resellers.html. Or as I mentioned PayPal is offered as a payment option in Element5, see image.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 08:33:14 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

unbob

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:52:40 PM »
I don't know, but you should ask Sales (DavidR gave you the mail address)
Yes, I have sent an e-mail asking for an explanation.

unbob

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
Okay, I got tired of waiting for a reply to my e-mail from element 5 and ALWIL Software. So, I tried placing my order again - this time using my PayPal account which is linked directly to my bank checking account with a current balance of $3693.12.

This time I received an e-mail stating:

Dear Valued Customer,

element 5 processes orders and collects payments on behalf of ALWIL
Software a.s..

Unfortunately, the PayPal transaction for your order ********* failed. The
order can therefore not be completed.

During the order process it was indicated that my PayPal account was "verified".

I have a balance of over $3600 in my checking account and these guys won't accept my order???? What is wrong with these people??? I'm mad as hell! >:(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:50:35 PM by unbob »

unbob

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:35:15 AM »
Still waiting for a resolution to this "problem"! I contacted avast sales and they responded:

"Our online purchase is run entirely on our behalf by element5, so all transactions are done on their site.
I have forwarded your problem to element5; element5 staff will get in touch with you and help you with it shortly.
We are sorry to hear that you've experienced problems with the purchase process."

So, I think they're saying "it's not our problem"!

Again, as of this posting, element5 has not responded with a resolution.

If anyone from ALWIL Software is reading this post - you guys need to find a new payment processor! Element5 is turning away paying customers! And for Christ sake, this is only a $43 usd transaction! Not hundreds or thousands of dollars!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:40:45 AM by unbob »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 01:46:19 AM »
So, I think they're saying "it's not our problem"!
No, they will follow element 5 support, just that they can direct interfere in a sale made by a 3rd party.
They will give you back any info, be sure.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:49 AM »
Just to throw some info in, I just placed an order for some wireless access points from Tranzeo Wireless (tranzeo.com) and since they are based in Canada, and I was purchasing with a discover card that was billed in the US, the transaction was not authorized.

I sort of appreciate this, since it would probably help in case the credit card info was ever stolen.

However, one short call to discover to tell them to authorize the transaction did the trick, and I had my wireless transmitters 3 days later.

Maybe give your credit card company a call and have them authorize it?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

unbob

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »
Maybe give your credit card company a call and have them authorize it?
The credit card and PayPal "people" are not the problem! I contacted them and they tell me they have not received a charge or inquiry from element5. So the problem is obviously with element5! And they so far have not responded with any sort of resolution. What is their problem??? >:(

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »
I understand your frustration, which seems to be mainly with Element 5 (and particularly their lack of response to you).
You've posted the issue at Wilders, also, and maybe the solution suggested there- to use a 60 day trial of pro - would be the way to go.
It's hard to imagine that this issue can't be resolved inside 60 days.
Hopefully the good folk at Alwil can bring a little pressure to bear on Element 5.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
I would plum for a US Reseler/Distributor from the link that I gave you and see if you have any better luck.

As frustrating as it is for you, Element5 obviously have a policy not to accept charges on a card from a different country to the cards registration, that protects any card holder from fraudulent transactions but would also protect element5 as it would be them that would have to refund the purchase.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:31 PM »
I hope ALWIL will know your problem and trying to resolve this for its didnt restart because i think alot people want this pro version :D and its weird for the ppl that cant purchase it

landsker

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:26:46 PM »
I live in Spain have only a Spanish bank and a Spanish bank issued  Visa card; but visit the UK several times a year.
Dell, UK. would not accept an internet order from me, for delivery to the UK on one of my trips there. I bought my laptop, a Toshiba, (I wanted an English language operating system, not available without an extra charge (100 euros) in Spain), from PC World in Sheffield, UK, using my Spanish issued Visa - no problem.
Vote with your feet - buy from a supplier who is user friendly.
Dell lost MY business!