Author Topic: avast! BART CD Final Beta just released  (Read 47149 times)

Pavel Baudis

avast! BART CD Final Beta just released
« on: June 04, 2003, 05:45:15 PM »
Our brand new product - avast! 4 BART CD is nearly ready for distribution! We have just released the Final Beta (for closer description and download see http://www.avast.com/i_idt_154.html ). This Final Beta is fully functional (without the possibility of updates) till the end of July. Try it and let us know what do you think about it  ;) !

Pavel

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:avast! BART CD Final Beta just released
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 07:53:54 PM »
Wow, it  is really good! Find no bugs so far( Okay the old RAR/DOS2..50 Shell crashes the "dosbox", but who cares!;) )

Anything seems to be possible. I have Internet-access, but i do need an Browser, the IE does not work( It is on my Hardisk not on the CD), accessing(read/write)  NTFS Partitions works perfekt, it recognizes my USB Harddrive and mapping drives works perfekt.

Starting other applications (sometimes) work too! I am able to start Drweb and i am able to update it!;)

It could become a "knoppix for Windows"!:)
Really great Produkt!

Uh, just saw the Pricelist! :) Nothing for homeuser.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 08:12:55 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 08:19:08 PM »
Starting applications should work if:
- the application doesn't have to be installed (needs registry values etc.)
- the application doesn't need many resources (as i understand, the number of graphical objects is very limited), so don't expect MS Word to start :)  On the other hand, I was able to start my favourite Total Commander for example.

What is happening with that RAR 2.50?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 08:27:37 PM »
It "just" close the dosbox. I will send you the file, if you do not have it.

BTW:  Is it possible to  set a global temp Path and a swapfile?
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 08:36:27 PM »
I don't think it's possible to set the swap file. As for the TEMP path... maybe it could be done, I'm not sure.
Vlk might know...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 08:54:07 AM »
As for starting the external programs:
- only Win32 programs are supported (NO Win16 and NO DOS). Raman, you're right, we've also noticed that sometimes, launching such a program from the command-line causes it to close. We can take a closer look at it - but I'm not sure there's something we can do about it - it's just not supported...

- if the program is Win32, it needs to be quite resource- (and API-) modest -- in other words, only "leightweight" apps have a chance to run...

As for the swapfile
No, I don't think there is a way to set up a swap file in BART. Therefore, you need quite a bit of memory (64M is a bare minimum, 128M is recommended) to do some serious stuff.

As for the TEMP path
Sure, why not. You know the SET commnand, don't you? ;) Just use it from the command-line tool to set the TEMP path to anywhere you want... There really shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 09:42:46 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 12:03:53 PM »
[
As for the TEMP path
Sure, why not. You know the SET commnand, don't you? ;)

<g> Yes, i know how to SET a PATH!:) But does it has a global effect or does it only set in the Dosbox? Under XP it has only effect in the Dosbox ,to set it global you have to change it in a other way.

Another thing, it is nice to be able to start Prgramms, but is it not a kind of insecure? You could start an infected Programm or Malware too?! :-?

BTW: Do you still want to add a little "Norton commander Clone"?
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 12:14:19 PM »
Well, it is up to you whether you'll start other program or not.
Besides, the RT in BART stands for "Recovery Tools" - sure, if you are recovering your computer from a virus infection, it might not be very wise to start (infected) programs  ;D. However, if some other disaster has struck you (wrong file was deleted, bad change to the registry has been done), there's no problem in running your own tools that would help you to fix the problem.

I'm just trying to say that the tool is aimed to administrators, who should know what they're doing  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 12:15:30 PM by igor »

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 12:21:34 PM »
Well, we have already done it  ;) As you may see on the final beta, there is a special vesrion of Servant Salamander which is great tool to do this job!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 12:27:18 PM »
Yes, i know how to SET a PATH!:) But does it has a global effect or does it only set in the Dosbox? Under XP it has only effect in the Dosbox ,to set it global you have to change it in a other way.

Not exactly true, I think. The environment is inherited from parent to child, ie. if you change a value in the parent (cmd.exe) and then impregnate the parent so that it has a baby ;D (i.e. run a child process from it), then it gets the parent genome (environment and stuff) ;D...

Hey, and what do you think is the Servant Salamander icon that was added to this beta?? ;) Not exactly "little", rather full-blown, I'd say - and I hope you don't mind...

Well, it is up to you whether you'll start other program or not.

FYI, for BART 2.0 we're expecting to add a mechanism that would scan every file being executed - so that you won't be able to run an infected program from BART... (something like on-access scanner)

Vlk
« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 12:34:42 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 12:46:56 PM »

Hey, and what do you think is the Servant Salamander icon that was added to this beta?? ;)

[disconcerting] Did not start  it!:-| [/disconcerting]

That is what i was looking for! :)

MfG Ralf

ZombieKIL

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2003, 03:04:25 PM »
I just want to buy a full version, then I will be happy :)

Maybe you will get this one working correctly!!
I brought Avast 4.0 Pro but did not recieve a key or any software :(

Pavel Mourek

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2003, 03:48:20 PM »
Where and when have you bought avast4? You can send the answer to support@asw.cz

w0mbat

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2003, 12:58:56 PM »
Hello.   Using the Beta CD and it's very usefull.

My question is, how can I purchase a licence please?  There are no links I can find to give you money!  :)

Also, how long is the licence valid for? is it a yearly type thing?

Thanks for your efforts :D

Steve in Oz

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »
My question is, how can I purchase a licence please?  There are no links I can find to give you money!  
I have a very good news for you!!! We are now working hard to establish the channel and I hope we will start to sell BART even TODAY!!!