Author Topic: avast! BART CD Final Beta just released  (Read 46925 times)

w0mbat

Re:avast! BART CD Final Beta just released
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2003, 05:47:14 PM »
Awesome.  :D

Thanks for your efforts!

Steve in Oz

Summit

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2003, 08:22:02 PM »
Long time user of Avast! Home Edition. I am looking to promote BART CD for home users, is there going to be a free version which is cut down? You could probably remove the network libraries and stuff, just the basic tools like the scanning engine and registry editor would be enough. Is this on the horizon or have a just put the cat among the pigeons?

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2003, 08:25:30 PM »
I think that will not be possible. You forget that the Main Operating System is an orginal Winxppro Build. I do not think that Microsoft give their OS away for free!;)
MfG Ralf

Summit

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2003, 08:36:37 PM »
I'll download the BETA and give it a try. Only read about it so far, thought it was a bootable CD image with all the scanning tools in it?

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2003, 08:48:25 PM »
is there going to be a free version which is cut down?
I think that will not be possible.
Raman is right (as usual :) ) And we can't even offer the timelimited demo - so the Final Beta is the only way how to get a feel of it!

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2003, 08:50:48 PM »
thought it was a bootable CD image with all the scanning tools in it?

Yes, but the operating System that makes it bootable is Windows XP Pro!:)

You can also use a Linux Version(like  Knoppix or an other "Live-CD"), but than you do not have a good write support for NTFS.
MfG Ralf

Summit

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 09:22:56 PM »
Just had a play with the BETA, it is the first time I have seen WinPE (based on the Windows XP kernel) being used. I have got as far as the menu for selecting a scan but I had not installed my promise drivers into the boot strap for the WinPE environment so wasn't able to do a scan. Anyway will try the great old F6 on startup and get the promise drivers installed to see what it is like rather than just admiring the load sequence and buttons ;D

Has anybody tried a PXE boot of the network with this yet?

I do have one question about this product how are you going to sell this? WinPE is one of those dodgy software assurance licenses, are you expecting just large corporates to use this? Sorry to ask but I am very curious to how this is going to work after the BETA.

Offline pcguy

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2003, 09:28:28 PM »
What about people who are involved with non profit  user groups who help their members with virus problems? Will the pricing be any different than what is shown on your web site?

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 09:32:12 PM »
You can find the designed price list here http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1065.html (it will be slightly changed tonight - and the introductory period will be expanded till August 15th). As you can see, this product is aimed mainly at the network administrators but we expect that it will be very interesting for single experienced users too - it is a very nice toy anyway  ;)

Offline pcguy

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 09:39:02 PM »
OK thanks for the quick reply. As I am in Canada the  $419.00 USD  for the technican license roughly converts to $582 CDN, which is more that our non profit group can afford to pay for helping our user group members with their virus problems.

Thanks anyways.

eda

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 09:43:24 PM »
Hi PCGuy and other freeware fans,

I'm very sorry for the fact Raman expreesed above. We can't use it in marketing but everybody will see during the boot that BART is based on Windows XP and we should pay every license we produce. We should pay for Servent Salamander too. And maybe there will be more utilities included in future. And for your information:

1. We can't use any free, public domain or GPL software on BART CD
2. We should write all the aplication included or
3. We should used licensed commercial aplication (and pay for it)
4. We can't produce time limited "Trial" version
5. We can produce the time limited beta version - the current beta is limited to August 30, 2003. And there won't be any other.

The 30% introductory sale is the maximum we can allow our customers and we can't to offer better prices for any nonprofit use.

On the other side avast! BART CD is professional tool and Professionals should pay for their tools!!!

regards    Eda

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 09:48:07 PM »
@pcguy I do not know how "big" your Group is, but you have to go to each Member with the one BartCD. I think it is more effectiv to teach your Members not to get infected at all!  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 09:50:18 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

Summit

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 09:52:01 PM »
I've been waiting for a product like this for the last 2 years. I think it is a great product which is very unique and worth its weight in gold.

However I would struggle, like pcguy, to justify this for non-profit use at the pricing you have. Can we sign a agreement between Awil and non-profit users for a very discounted version which is time limited? This would force us to come back for you for updates at a later stage.

Offline pcguy

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 09:52:46 PM »
I tell them and tell them untill I am blue in the face but some of them do not listen. They either don't have an antivirus program or if they do it may have months or it never has been updated signature wise. Some of them also have a habit of clicking on each and every attachment that is sent to them via email, even if they don't know the person or were not expecting the attachment.

Is a never ending battle.  :)

Summit

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2003, 09:53:44 PM »
It looks like my question was answered while I was typing before  :'(