Author Topic: Vista HP SP2RC - very slow net connection  (Read 2009 times)

Littlemutt

Vista HP SP2RC - very slow net connection
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:16:32 PM »
I installed the Vista SP2RC today, and now it seems that Avast is choking on the internet connection.  Pages are slow to never loading, and download speeds are worse than dial-up, on my 3meg DSL line.

Disabling all the protection services restored the speed.  I've rebooted a couple times, and its slowing things down.

Is there any known issues with Avast and the new SP2 RC on Vista ?

Using 4.8.1335 fully up to date.

EDIT: Also the right-click on the 'ball' will not work but once.. after that the context menu never comes up, have to restart the PC.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:28:10 PM by Littlemutt »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Vista HP SP2RC - very slow net connection
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:57:34 PM »
This can be a problem when using a release candidate. an RC should (in theory) be not buggy, but Ms don't have a brilliant record in this regard.
I don't know if SP2RC is compatible with Avast or not. I do believe it is not up to Avast to attempt to test this software and modify the AV accordingly; it is up to MS. You should contact them and report the problem.
This sort of thing happens when you test software.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Littlemutt

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »
Removed, ran the remover tool and re-installed and so far it seems to be working again.  Time will tell, as it was ok for awhile yesterday until it just suddenly tanked as noted in my original post.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:21:43 AM »
Removed, ran the remover tool and re-installed and so far it seems to be working again....
Removed Avast, or SP2RC?
If Avast, and it continues to work, jolly good. (Be aware that you are testing software, here.)
If SP2 uninstalled, hopefully the problem won't recur.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.