Author Topic: Freezing while scanning  (Read 2447 times)

mscarmex

Freezing while scanning
« on: March 06, 2009, 04:24:52 PM »
I have tried for over 24 hours to do an thorough scan and it keeps freezing at the C Temp files.  What could be wrong?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Freezing while scanning
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

Also, let's say clearly: if during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).
The best things in life are free.

direwolf

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:27:57 AM »
I am having the same problem myself, I am running Vista64, it stops at about 9% or 10% through on a thorough scan.  I still have mouse movement and my CPU light kind of blinks at me, likes its in a loop.  I have to force a shutdown and when it reboots it boots up normally.   I did what you suggested and have the log files.  Any help would be cool,

Bob

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:46:10 AM »
While an XP user I have too found avast hanging on a file during scanning in the past.  If you are able to provide the avast team with the identity of the file that appears to be causing the hang (as shown in the scanning window) it may well be of use to them in removing the problem (although temp files is a bit more difficult).

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:21:01 PM »
I find that CCleaner cleans up the Temp files both IE and Windows quite effectively and I do not experience any freezing:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download

I don't use the Yahoo Toolbar and insure that I un-select its installation during CCleaner install nor do I use its Wipe Free Space as it is only for paranoid people or those that are involved in subversive activities.