Author Topic: Another avast interfering with browser  (Read 2480 times)

miyata

Another avast interfering with browser
« on: February 16, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »
Did a search and found another with the same issue. I have a new dell Studio 17 with vista home premium. Put Avast and Zone Alarm (all pc's have the same version) on it like I have on every other windows computer I have and never had problems before.

Well in both IE7 and Firefox3 after so long the browsers act like they lost connection and sit. Closing and reopening the browsers doesnt work. Only way to get back online is to reboot. Even shut down avast and Za individually and together. Still did it. Well uninstalled both and didnt get dropped. Installed Za alone and no drops. Uninstalled Za again and installed avast alone and it started dropping. Well had to uninstall it and currently am using Comodo (av and fw) for the time being until I can be sure that I can get avast to work without locking the browsers. I did try to contact Dell to see if there was a problem with the wireless card with avast or ZA with vista, but since I didnt buy it directly from Dell (bought it from Best Buy and no way in hell will I let the dork squad attempt to fix anything), I was told to get lost, but thats another story.

So has anyone else had this issue and FIXED IT? I dont mind Comodo, but its rather nanny-ish asking for permission for everything when I'm installing programs (had to click OK about 9 times installing PSP9) unlike ZA it asks once, maybe twice. I like Avast. Rather use it since its always been good to me.

mattclary

Re: Another avast interfering with browser
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
I have had this problem with two machines in the last week. In both cases neither machine had a firewall installed. I tried toggling Windows firewall off and on to no avail. Both machines at one time had Symantec on them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Another avast interfering with browser
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:04:10 PM »
Both machines at one time had Symantec on them.
1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.

Sometimes ZA and Comodo has a bad interaction with avast.
Sometimes, uninstalling them, booting and installing again solves the glitches.
The best things in life are free.