Author Topic: Avast Corrupted Files?  (Read 5378 times)

ZtrydR

Avast Corrupted Files?
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Somehow, my Avast files became corrupt and now Avast wont start and I cannot uninstall it.

This happened after uninstalling NVIDIA system tools. When I restarted like it told me too and then logged back into my account an error came saying I was missing some dll file MSVCP71.dll

I then decided ok I‘d reinstall so I go to uninstall Avast and I get an error saying the "Avast Consent dialog helper application" has stopped working and from there it refuses to uninstall.

So now, I am sitting here with a computer that has no Antivirus on it at all and have no clue on how to remedy this problem!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Corrupted Files?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZtrydR

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:16:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I am still wondering why uninstalling the NVIDIA system tools caused my Avast files to become corrupt.

When I first started the uninstall of the system tools it crashed almost every component of Avast errors kept popping up everywhere. The mail scanner stopped working then the GUI program or whatever then from there everything just crashed and burned.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:35 AM »
It could be nothing more than a coincidence, but anything named system tools seems strange for what is a video graphics company.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ZtrydR

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Very late response but Nvidia System Tools can be downloaded from the nvidia website. it allows you to add custom clock frequencies to your graphics card. You can also change BIOS setting from within the windows environment.

It is a legitimate program. the only problem with it is that for whatever reason it seems to kill the avast process and then corrupt the files it uses to start in the first place.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »
It is a legitimate program. the only problem with it is that for whatever reason it seems to kill the avast process and then corrupt the files it uses to start in the first place.
Not a legitimate program should do that... for any reason.
The best things in life are free.