Author Topic: hard disk useage spazing out  (Read 2842 times)

zone12

hard disk useage spazing out
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:19:01 AM »
My computer's hard disk is always working at 100% all day i dunno whats it doin. It keeps on running svhosts for tons of programs that I'm not even using.Does anyone have some kind of cure for this?

It seems that a majority of the list are svhosts for steam games. I'm not playing them but there are copies of the same svhost files for theGcf files constantly running.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 12:21:45 AM by zone12 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: hard disk useage spazing out
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:24:08 AM »
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
Hi zone12,

Also monitor your network connections using TDIMON and Wireshark or use rootkit detection as you might caress a viper at your bosom, namely a spam spewing bot. Do you have extensive traffic at ports 25 or 443?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

zone12

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
Hi zone12,

Also monitor your network connections using TDIMON and Wireshark or use rootkit detection as you might caress a viper at your bosom, namely a spam spewing bot. Do you have extensive traffic at ports 25 or 443?

polonus

no it does not have a lot of traffic ,the svchosts seems to be comin from my steam games,does anyone have some thing to limit steam of doing this