Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Home will not auto-update  (Read 3150 times)

Mickey Way

Avast 4.8 Home will not auto-update
« on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:58 AM »
Details first: I have one DSL gateway going to 3 computers in my home.  All 3 computers are running Win XP Home SP3 with current MS updates.  All 3 Avast programs have the exact same settings (including the auto-update interval).  Two computers, when started, will post the Avast daily update within seconds after the desktop is established. The third computer can be on for hours and never flash an automatic update. I have to manually update this computer every time.  This is a newly built computer, about one month old, and Avast was installed immediately.  It has refused to auto-update for a couple of weeks now.   

I've checked and compared every Avast setting among all 3 computers quite a few times and just can't figure out what could be happening.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CharleyO

Re: Avast 4.8 Home will not auto-update
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »

On the problem computer, try a repair of avast. It might not help but it will not hurt. You must be on-line for this to work.

Control Panel > Add/remove programs > click on avast to select > Change/remove > in the opening dialog box, scroll down to Repair and click to select > click on OK > follow directions

Mickey Way

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
WOW!  I NEVER would have  looked there!!  Good one!!!  I just ran the repair, so later tonight I'll see what happens.  Hopefully that will take care of it.  I'll doubleback later with results.

Thanks!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:42:14 AM »
There's a real good chance that's problem solved.
Another thing to check is your computer date/time is accurate.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »
Can you manually update that computer?
Only the router, don't you have an installed firewall?
Please, post the last 300-350 lines of avast log (of that computer): C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
The best things in life are free.

Mickey Way

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:10 AM »
Hello again.  I powered up the two OK computers, got them warmed up, and then powered up the modem.  Both auto-installed as normal.  So, grabbed a fresh coffee before firing up the third computer.  Moments later, auto-install chimed in as it is supposed to.  I'm thinking the "repair" must have fixed the problem, but I'm still going to watch it closely for the next couple of weeks.

This is for Tech's response; Do you still want me to upload the log files?  Let me know.

Thanks all for the help.  If it decides to act up again, I'll be back.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »

Glad to know it updated and seems to be ok.   :)

Let us know if it becomes a problem again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 06:17:11 PM »
This is for Tech's response; Do you still want me to upload the log files?  Let me know.
It it is working, it's not necessary.
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »
Good job guy :)