Author Topic: Antivirus Test Result  (Read 9945 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Antivirus Test Result
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »
Not bad, room for improvement, some very strange results (bad) from some of the big players.

With only 4% difference between 1st and 12th (with avast at 11th) is only 4%.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:09:13 PM »
jepp, and ESET: The world`s fastest, most effective internet security suite......(http://www.eset.com/)  jepp i can see that  ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:39 PM »
I was surprised that Microsoft was 3rd and I guess the means Windows Defender.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
-= Sophos at top 1..? I heard that it have too many false positives.. Maybe, those false positives helped a lot for it to reach the top.. Most of the antiviruses that have the least detection of false positives are at the bottom.. hmm.. haha..  ;D

-= NOD32 is at the bottom..? It was a shock..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »
Sooner or later we'll have an official word about the weakness of this particular test or the way it was conducted...
The best things in life are free.

Iso-G

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »
I know we have to wait for the ALWIL's official words.
But I guess SRI test is basically different from the tests of both of AV Test and AV Comparative.

SRI says :
Our detection rates represent the TRUE POSITIVE detection rates. The results do not take into consideration the false positive rate of a given tool, and thus a tool that declares everything to be infected would appear to have the highest true positive percentage rate.

As they says, SRI's samples include clean files like as the samples Virus.gr took for their tests.

And also, SRI has NEVER said they put their samples to Virus Total before their giving them to some security vendors.
So, there may be time lag to detect their samples SRI had among security vendors.
I would like to be able to believe that SRI does NOT send any their samples to any vendors.

PS
I'm sorry I don't speak English well. Japanese is my native. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
So, there may be time lag to detect their samples SRI had among security vendors.
But, what if the file is clean? They just set some files that have to be detected? Why? ???
The best things in life are free.

Iso-G

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Hi, my dear, Tech

SRI knows their files include clean files as we know on their explanation
Our detection rates represent the TRUE POSITIVE detection rates. The results do not take into consideration the false positive rate of a given tool, and thus a tool that declares everything to be infected would appear to have the highest true positive percentage rate.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
Im surprised for the result also for nod32 because alot guy in internet say its the best when lol he is 30th

Hahahaha :D

Its made my day thank guy lol

PS : ALWIL didnt take care about this test you are still the best for me :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 04:47:39 PM by Mr.Agent »

ilker

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
%3-%4 difference with top doesnt mean anthing in daily life so avast! is great and enough for me. Thanks Avast Team .  :)

antonpaco

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
I am not surprised of NOD32, my brother had it for three months and get many virus, so he replaced.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »
-= Lets just wait for AV comparatives to release another result.. Moreover, AV conducts tests more accurate than other 3rd party websites..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 02:38:50 AM »
-= Lets just wait for AV comparatives to release another result.. Moreover, AV conducts tests more accurate than other 3rd party websites..

And you get this from where ?

av-comparatives would be considered a 3rd party website also, whilst it is a better source than many, however this test if you know its method and limitations then it is relatively good.

1. All antivirus binary analysis results are provided via virustotal.com.

2. Each binary is submitted for evaluation within 24hrs of our harvesting it live from the Internet. Each antivirus tool is only given this one attempt to detect the binary. Our intention is to evaluate how the antivirus tools are performing against the latest malware on the Internet, at least from the narrow vantage point of our honeynet.

So essentially this is somewhat different from av-comparatives.

The company has been around for some time and appears reputable, http://www.sri.com/about/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security