Author Topic: NoScript won't allow AOL Mail  (Read 4600 times)

mpepper

NoScript won't allow AOL Mail
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »
Hello all, added NoScript, Ad Block and Finjan to my Firefox browser.

I use AOL mail thru the browser, but none of the pictures show up, even when I allow all.

Has anyone experienced this?  I am very new at this.

Thanks.

Hally

Re: NoScript won't allow AOL Mail
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Hi mpepper  :)

I don't know anything about Finjan ... In Fact! ... I don't even know what it is  :-[

I've got  - Ad Blocker Plus ... But I never seem to need to use it much  :-\

No Script ... I can give you a few - Tips!  ;)

Re : No Script
It does take a little while to get used to No Script.

I've been using No Script for about 3 months now.
But when I first started using No Script.. It did take me about 4 weeks before I really knew what I was doing with it.

Tip! .. No : 1
The Best Way I Can Think To Explain - No Script ...
Websites  are not always as they seem  :(
Rather than just being one single website ( Like we tend to think of them being )
One Website - Can actually be made up of maybe 2, 3, 4, .. or .. even more.
Like Layers .. One On Top Of The Other
No Script allows us to - Allow or Block .. Each Individual Layer.
Meaning...
We have the ability to - Allow .. Only what is really required for a website to work properly
This Means...
If the Virus people have been adding any extra layers of their own.
No Script Can Help Keep Us Safe!  :D

Tip! .. No : 2
Try Using - No Script - This way...
1/ When you go to a new website .. If It Looks  - OK .. Allow just the main part of the website.
e.g.
aol  . com
Any other important bits of that website will automatically be Allowed too!

2/ Mark all the other bits as - Untrusted
e.g.
Double   click  .  net
3/ If something on the website doesn't work...
Allow just one extra thing at a time .. To see which one is needed.
4/ Make sure you Re-Block ... Anything that doesn't help

Tip! .. No : 3
If you put your mouse over a - Broken Picture or Video...
It will sometimes tell you what bit of the page is required to be Un-Blocked For the picture or video to work.

Hope This Helps!  ;)

PS.
AOL is actually quite a good website to practise on.
Why?
Coz... It has loads of layers  ::)
All their flamin Ads!
Not many websites have that many layers.
e.g.
Things to practice allowing and blocking  ;)

This forum only has one layer ... Which of course... You - Allow! ... avast.com  :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:39:25 PM by Hally »

Hally

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:00:17 PM »
Sorry mpepper   :-[

I've only just realised you said...
even when I allow all.

In That case..
I very much doubt it's No Script doing it  ???

Did you subscribe to one of those Ad Blocker List things?
I Didn't!
On the rare occasion that I do use ABP ... I just block an individual Ad.
If.. Yes!
Could Be That!  :-\

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 10:34:40 PM »
Hi Hally,

ABP is a mighty add-on, and sometimes you are blocking these very images you want to see, open up blockable items and you will see all the items, then unblock or make an exemption rule for what you won't have blocked any longer,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Hally

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
Thanks polonus    :)

But it's Not me with the problem  ;)
It's mpepper that has a problem with AOL

I think it could be ABP too!
Especially if mpepper signed up for one of those ABP automatic lists.
I Never Did!
So ABP Only Blocks ... What I want it to block   :D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:17:52 PM »
Hi Hally,

The automatic lists should not be a problem for mpepper, if he tweaks the settings of ABP on the page, and make (an) exeption rule(s). Sometimes you can have the problem for images, sometimes for counter tags and in forms. It is not always automated lists, it can be your own (un)doing.
I also block certain Web Bugs through ABP that I find up with FoxBeacon add-on. The Microsoft homepage is tracking users with a 1 x 1 pixel Web Bug, BBC News is doing the same, well we should expect that behaviour, wouldn't we?
You can block all Web Bugs at once with the NoScript options advanced settings, but I want to be aware where the trackers follow me, and that is from everywhere and every angle even when they have promised not do do so and remove them like Google Video - where they had a Super Cookie on the hard disk. Not when you clicked the actual vid but only when visiting the page where the link to it was to be found, and then I found out about the  RequestPolicy extension and that was a good companion to NoScript, a real eye opener, because malware in the browser is not only scripts and objects,

polonus
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:20:29 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mpepper

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 05:28:59 AM »
It appears that what I am unable to see is some kind of Java script.  So in that sense, NoScript is doing it's job. 

The AOL site itself works ok.  It is in viewing images within the emails themselves that is a problem.  Even when I select "allow all".

This is really for my wife.  She is the one that uses AOL.  I wish she would select another carrier.  Anyway, she likes the new defenses I have arranged on her system, but she wants some things back the way the were.  NoScript is the only one that is getting on her nerves (and Comodo FW, but she is getting the hang of it).

So is there a way to allow the java scripts on the AOL emails?  Or should I just forget it?

Hally

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:57:37 PM »

Hi polonus  :)

I also block certain Web Bugs through ABP that I find up with FoxBeacon add-on. The Microsoft homepage is tracking users with a 1 x 1 pixel Web Bug, BBC News is doing the same, well we should expect that behaviour, wouldn't we?
You can block all Web Bugs at once with the NoScript options advanced settings, but I want to be aware where the trackers follow me, and that is from everywhere and every angle even when they have promised not do do so and remove them like Google Video - where they had a Super Cookie on the hard disk. Not when you clicked the actual vid but only when visiting the page where the link to it was to be found, and then I found out about the  RequestPolicy extension and that was a good companion to NoScript, a real eye opener, because malware in the browser is not only scripts and objects,

Sorry!
But you've completely lost me there mate  :-[
You're obviously way more advanced than me... When it comes to computers  ;)
Been using a computer for 3 years now.
Still learning a little bit more each day  :)

Thanks!

Hally

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
Hi mpepper  :)

It appears that what I am unable to see is some kind of Java script.  So in that sense, NoScript is doing it's job. 

The AOL site itself works ok.  It is in viewing images within the emails themselves that is a problem.  Even when I select "allow all".

This is really for my wife.  She is the one that uses AOL.  I wish she would select another carrier.  Anyway, she likes the new defenses I have arranged on her system, but she wants some things back the way the were.  NoScript is the only one that is getting on her nerves (and Comodo FW, but she is getting the hang of it).

So is there a way to allow the java scripts on the AOL emails?  Or should I just forget it?

1/ Has your wife tried opening the same AOL emails via IE7 ?
This would rule out the possibility that the problem is with the email itself.
Or maybe a problem on AOL's side of things.
AOL do tend to have problems such as missing pictures or mixed up text ... Quite Often  ::)

2/ Is there any possibility that Finjen or Comodo are causing this problem?

If you're getting really desperate to solve this problem...
3/ You could try disabling each Firefox Ad on .. ( One at a Time ) ..To find out which Ad On is actually responsible for this problem  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
If your wife only uses AOHell webmail viewed through the firefox browser then for that page you simply 'allow' scripts (not temporarily allow) from the NoScript right click menu options, so she shouldn't be asked again.

There may be more than one set of scripts on that page and you may need to allow all of them, but try allowing them one at a time until the email is allowed.

NoScript doesn't have any impact on emails if your wife is downloading them using an email client as NoScript only monitors web pages.

If it is via an email client, I really don't know where to begins as I have zero knowledge of AOHell's proprietary email client or function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mpepper

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 07:31:36 PM »
Thanks everyone. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security