Author Topic: Help?  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Help?
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:48:39 PM »
Hi one and all,

It’s been a while since I have been on this forum and as is my custom I am back with a problem.
First off, since I didn’t get to do this earlier and since it’s common courtesy, I would like to wish every member of the forum a Happy New Year. May 2009 bring much joy and fewer malware (this is an anti-virus web forum... I had to mention malware somewhere in there).

Now that that is done, here is my issue. I have an HP laptop, brand new...well almost, that gives me a problem with Avast. The specs for the computer as well as screen shots of the problem are attached at the bottom. The laptop hardware and software are up to date.

The problem occurs when I try to open avast. I double click and I get the splash window. It scans, and then I see the message that the program loads. But after the splash window disappears avast doesn’t start. I look in Task Manager and it doesn’t show either. After that I double click on the Avast shortcut again and avast starts normally, splash window and all (except the splash window does the scanning much faster, about in half the time). If I then click the drop down menu in avast and select Skin, I end up seeing the section of the menu that has the Skin option in it on top of any window regardless if I close avast or not. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling but to no avail. I tried the repair option in the add/remove option in the windows program section and still no use. Any hints or suggestions and solutions are welcomed.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
There is a workaround to these graphical artefacts remnants of menus, etc. that you could give a try.
Edit avast4.ini using Notepad [Common] section, add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file, you will be prompted by the avast! self-defence module if this is OK answer Yes.
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315764#msg315764

McAfee Site Advisor causing similar issues with avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40840.msg342656#msg342656
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »

Thank you Tech, you are a life saver. So far so good. I'll try this in the Aero theme and see if it works. Other wise I'll be back and I'll post whatever I got. Also good to mention is that I had an Internet defense program from Norton. I use add/remove to delete it then I used the removal tool found at:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

This did not help and in the end the link you Provided was the key to solving my problem.

Thanks
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »
Does the 'ghost' disappear?
The best things in life are free.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 03:18:19 AM »
Wow,

I should really have a better follow up of the topics I post. I apologize for the lateness in the reply.
What do you mean by Ghost Tech?
If you are referring to the little icon that used to remain there after I selected a skin then no, no more ghost.
Computer Systems:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »
I believe Tech was referring to the remnants of the menu, etc. in your first image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »
Ah...

Well no. The Ghost  is not visible anymore but to be honest that didn't bug as much as having to start avast twice before it would actually start.
What is curious is why this would happen on Vista Home Premium and not on the Basic Edition.
Computer Systems:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Sorry I have so far kept to a Vista free zone, so I can't help there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »

There is one more possible explanation I might have overlooked. On my LapTop I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS video card (desktop has the Intel Video Card). Now I'm not sure if this specific model is one of the ones who is "destined" to overheat but I do know that for one reason or another, HP will not let me download the latest Driver from Nvidia. (ie HP offers a driver it considers most up to date but there is a second one offered by Nvidia which is more recent)

I have some problems because of this. I get a blank screen for a few seconds and then a bubble message on the right side of the task bar saying that the video card was slow to respond and that Vista recovered. In the problems and report section I told to update the driver. Which is already up to date.

What's more is that the Ghost issue only occurs under Vista SP1 and not Vista. So could the driver be at fault? If so then I'm stuck using the fix given by Tech.

There is a workaround to these graphical artefacts remnants of menus, etc. that you could give a try.
Edit avast4.ini using Notepad [Common] section, add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file, you will be prompted by the avast! self-defence module if this is OK answer Yes.
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315764#msg315764

McAfee Site Advisor causing similar issues with avast: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40840.msg342656#msg342656

This is ok with me although it doesn't really explain why this happens? NOr am I willing to risk downloading the newest driver from Nvidia against HP specific guide lines (Nvidia also urges to download the latest diver posted by HP and not them... Ha)

Cheers
Computer Systems:

CharleyO

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »

NOr am I willing to risk downloading the newest driver from Nvidia against HP specific guide lines (Nvidia also urges to download the latest diver posted by HP and not them... Ha)

This is one of the limitations of buying "branded" computers that use parts made specifically for their own computers.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:32:57 PM »

NOr am I willing to risk downloading the newest driver from Nvidia against HP specific guide lines (Nvidia also urges to download the latest diver posted by HP and not them... Ha)

This is one of the limitations of buying "branded" computers that use parts made specifically for their own computers.

I always had an opinion that unless you make money using it, you don't need a laptop. This was a gift meant to help in my studies (the jury is still out on that considering the amount of time spent on fixing it rather than using it).

HP is a good brand in general but this cooperation they made with NVIDIA has gone sour. Using HWMonitor I see that my video card's temp is 55 Degrees Celsius which for some is high. And this is on standby, no programs running and with the laptop on a clear flat surface.

I posted a thread in HP's forum and no reply. Since the warranty is out I'm not sure I can contact customer support anymore so I'll wait a bit more and then e-mail them if no replies are posted to my inquiries.

Cheers
Computer Systems:

CharleyO

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

I understand, CCU. Nor would I refuse the gift of a nice computer even if it were branded.
But, they are always limited in what can be upgraded on them. I was just pointing out that fact.   :)