Author Topic: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)  (Read 25166 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »
Well that is a start.

1. is there any BSOD information stop error code, any files named, etc. in the crashes ?

There should also be some minidump.dmp files created also those could help the developers at Alwil if we can get some divine intervention from them, we are just avast users like your self (eventually).

2. Personally I wouldn't try an update download from the net (well I'm not too sure what you are doing), but a manual update, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, iAVS Update. Or was that what you did ?

I think the update issue is related to the original problem so splitting it off I don't think is a good idea.

Do you have a router and does it have a firewall ?
As it would appear that something is messing with the download and corrupting something so it doesn't validate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:37 AM »
Tech, I got SetupDbg.log if you want to take a look at it.

In fact, I want some of the programmers take a look on it... it's a work for advanced interpretation...
The best things in life are free.

poulabas

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 02:48:09 AM »
Yes I get stop error code but no files named in the crash.
It's always the same invalid file signature message.

Yes, I am using manual update.

I am using a router which is hardware/software firewalled. I do not think it would cause a problem since my other 4 computers have no problems updating.

It seems Avast is allergic to this computer/software configuration.

But in the logs you can tell that vps-9020500.vpu package fails the md5 checksums.

This could take time to find.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 03:33:23 AM »
You could try downloading the full VPS 23MB I believe and run that and see if that validates.

avast! VPS Update - Manual Download - For updating an off-line systems, download using a system with internet connection, save the file to a CD or USB drive and transfer it to the off-line system and run it to update the VPS signatures file.

Or you could try, Incremental VPS update work around for off-line system.

The quote below works (copied the 400.vps file from my fully up to date system to my old system which wasn't fully up to date), tested on off line system requires a reboot for the WSC to also recognise the updated VPS.
Ok, i tested exactly what i suggested and it appears it works. I've used old installation from May 2008 in virtual machine. Copied 400.vps and clnr0.dll from host system to VM system and avast! showed signature date identical to the one on host system. And that even without system reboot. Now i don't know if everything works as it suppose to but it seems to be a good start.

That is me for the night 2:32 a.m here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

poulabas

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 12:04:02 AM »
David, I downloaded the vpsupd.exe file and to my surprise it said "vps database is already up to date".
So I went for a program update through avast icon, "right click, Updating, Program Update".
It then downloads a 2.9 Mb file but when it tries to install in the system, it either crash or gives me an "invalid file signature" box.

So right now it seems only the program can not be installed or updated through the internet. I don't get it.

The message I got when I get the blue screen "A problem has been detected..." is: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

I could probably install the updates in safe mode since this is the only way I managed to install Avast, but in safe mode I would have to learn how to load my Wireless/LAN driver first.

I seem to be a rare case but then most people do not restart from scratch a brand new laptop computer like I always do...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 01:26:42 AM »
It is most certainly a rare case as this is the first time I have come across something like you are experiencing and I have been on the forums for close to five years.

A 2.9MB update is huge for an incremental update, so if you right click the avast icon and select about avast, what Program Version (4.8.1335 is latest) and VPS Version (090313-0 is latest) are reported ?

You could try the safe mode install of the vpsupd.exe file, though personally I don't think that would work as avast doesn't run in safe mode by default and I think avast would need to be running for it to work.

You say you have other systems with avast you could try the coping the 400.vps as suggested and see how that gets on.

The error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is a strange one as there are some report it as RAM errors or other that say it is driver related.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/w2000Msgs/6093.mspx
Quote from: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Explanation:. This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-38458-Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area.html
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/501863.htm

So you could have a bad memory stick, clutching at straws again here. If you have multiple sticks, you could try swapping them with only one in at a time, etc. This however, is a tough one to pin down.

poulabas

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »
David, I have program version 4.8.1335 but the vps is 090205-1 or Feb 5 2009 which is not good. I had another blue screen "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" but this time it said "the problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys. And I only get this blue screen when trying to update the vps engine itself.

I also tried installation in safe mode but I get message return box "VPS database is already up to date", and same message if I try in a normal session.

The 2.9 MB incremental seems to be the right size since my VPS file date back to Feb 5 2009 and is the one that will not install.

I am going to try the copying of the 400.vps file but something will have to change because I don't plan to keep updating my laptop manually.

So something is stopping the software to update.
But what is it?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Instead of a software error, it is possible that the problem is caused by (partially) broken hardware. Although it is a new system, it doesn't mean all hardware is in perfectly working order. I suggest you get and run MEMTEST to start with. Let it run overnight. Also get the drive diagnostic tool from the manufacturer and run it.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »
Maybe your firewall is block it but me i got the right version now

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »
@ poulabas
The win32k.sys is a windows system driver and would fall in line with the problem being either RAM or driver, so I would suggest you try that memory test Eddy gave the link for.

For some people an avast repair gets things back in sync, were there is an inconsistency in the reported VPS version of about avast and when you check for updates, etc. Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

I'm still hoping for some input from one of the Alwil team as this is beyond anything I have experienced, they really would be the only one to dig deeper into this.

Usually they would ask for the minidump files created on the crash to be uploaded to the ftp server for analysis. We could try than and see if it sparks some action, though that source isn't monitored by default only when requested.

Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming - Connect to the link and drag the file into the Right pane and drop it, that starts the upload, you don't have read access to this folder. Give the minidump.dmp file a unique name like poulabas-minidump.dmp so it couldn't be mixed with another minidump.dmp upload.

poulabas

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
David and Eddy,
Full hardware diagnostics was carried out twice and everything passed.

David, I tried the repair option and I got a message box saying,
"Error processing packages"
"please use full update".

I am going to follow your last advice and submit "minidump files"  through their ftp server.

Thanks, I know it's a long one but I would like finding the cause of it.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:54 PM »
How and with what did you do the hardware diag?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
<snip>
I am going to follow your last advice and submit "minidump files"  through their ftp server.

Thanks, I know it's a long one but I would like finding the cause of it.

Fingers crossed that it gets some attention.

poulabas

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 06:09:21 PM »
Eddy, I used the Dell Diagnostics utility software CD that came with my computer.

You boot with it and from there you can select the test you want.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »
Please try the software as I mentioned. It is a lot better then HELL's software. ;)