Author Topic: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)  (Read 25089 times)

poulabas

Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)
« on: March 09, 2009, 10:11:59 PM »
I just bought a Dell inspiron mini 1210 and after 2 windows xp install (quick format), avast will not install.
Computer came with norton internet security.
Tried Norton removal toll; Still can not install Avast.

What else could it be?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »
I see no problems in your log but I need to see the last lines, not the first ones.

1) Remove NAV or Norton 360 through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer.
The best things in life are free.

poulabas

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »
I also tried avast pro and it installed, but for some reasons, it will not install the update from the internet.
It starts the installation after the download but the programs stops the install in the middle of the installation. 

Here it is again, log from avast home edition.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:05 PM »
poulabas, this is the middle of the log, not the last lines... ::)
Are you saving (before executing) the setup file to your desktop or you're running directly from Internet?

poulabas

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:12:57 AM »
Tech, I found the full setup log in progam files. :-[

I downloaded the latest version (home and pro) from your website and saved to my documents before installation.

I am still trying but nothing seems to work...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:20:10 PM »
Code: [Select]
18:31:52 min/gen  Return code: 0x2000000B [Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.From where are you downloading the setup?
Try to download it again from www.avast.com

poulabas

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:14:34 PM »
Tech, It is not going good.
I have just finished installing windows xp sp3 with a full disk format. I then tried installing Avast and after a few seconds going into the installation it stops with another invalid file signature in the setup.log file.

The installation was clean besides the Intel chipset drivers. No graphic drivers yet.

This is with the latest version downloaded from your website.

So, what is it???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
Yeah... the same...
Did you try the steps on the #1 reply?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

poulabas

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 12:02:58 AM »
Tech, just finished everything you mentionned to do.

Did not improve anything. Same, same thing. (Log included)

By the way Avast does not even make it to the control panel for uninstallation.
So, just awsclear was used.

Tech, what is next?

Anybody else's having this issue?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:34 AM »

poulabas

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:00 AM »
I downloaded the file you linked me and once on my computer I did a file compare and found them to be identical.

I decided to try it just in case and did installation starting from scratch again for the 6th time.

Did not work. Log included.

Should I just give up and go with another antivirus. All my computers use Avast and I have never had problems like that before.
Not before I bought this new computer.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 05:10:29 AM »
Not that I doubt for a moment the advice given to you by my friend Tech but I felt someone should try the advice and see if your problem is reproducible.  I just did this on my main system (Dell XP with Win XP Pro SP3). 

Sorry to say (at least for you) that I could not reproduce the problem you are seeing.  However ... when I compare your setup log and mine (attached) there are very clear differences.  The major early difference is that the "factory specs" of your Dell lead avast to believe that you have IE 6 installed on your system.  I am fairly amazed that Dell would deliver you a system recently with IE 6 installed.

If indeed you do have IE6 in your factory defaults then I cannot explain why that may cause a problem with installing avast.  There is one other possibility.  Most Dell systems (mine did) come with a default antivirus already installed.  If you are restoring your system from the Dell recovery partition then you would need to ensure the fullest removal of that default AV placed by Dell before installing avast.

I know that you do not want to be exposed before installing avast but you may also want to consider updating to IE 7 and then trying the avast installation again.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
You can force an installation by this command on the folder you've donwload and save the install file: setupeng.exe /forceinstall
Where setupeng.exe is the name of the executable.

To debug, add the following lines to setup.ini (in avast4\setup):
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

Then start update again, and SetupDbg.log should be generated. Post the contents here, it should give us a clue at which step it crashes.

poulabas

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 02:40:04 AM »
alanrf, I have tried your suggestion and took all the update from microsoft, including ie 7. Unfortunately, I still can not install avast.

Tech, I can't get Avast to install following your suggestion. It does not even make it to control panel, so setup.ini only contains those 2 lines:
[DownloadSettings]
FailSafeServer=C:\DOCUME~1\Serge\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a02804
[UpdateSummary]
LastErrorMsg=Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.

poulabas

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
I installed Avast Pro and when the system reboots it crashes with the blue screen. So I had to boot in safe mode and use awsclear to be able to use my computer again.

I have run HijackThis just to see and did not found anything special and as you can tell in the log, I am unfortunately using another antivirus program.

Could it just be that Avast software is not compatible with the hardware/software on this computer. Most likely hardware since Avast does not install even after a clean Windows install and full format done.

I would love to use Avast but it seems the options are running out.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:03:18 PM by poulabas »