Author Topic: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)  (Read 25088 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can Not Install Avast 4.8 home (Log inside)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »
so setup.ini only contains those 2 lines
Did you add the value before installing?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »
avast is not incompatible with any hardware (although it has system requirements).
Are you sure that there isn't any preinstalled software? Man... it's difficult to guess what's happening...

poulabas

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 04:04:45 PM »
Preinstalled software?

As soon as windows xp finished installing, I tried installing Avast so the system would be clean don't you think?

I have 3 legal copy of Windows xp and I have tried them all before installing Avast.
I have never seen anything like this. We have 5 computers all running avast except for my new Inspiron 1210.

poulabas

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »
You can force an installation by this command on the folder you've download and save the install file: setupeng.exe /forceinstall
Where setupeng.exe is the name of the executable.

To debug, add the following lines to setup.ini (in avast4\setup):
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

Then start update again, and SetupDbg.log should be generated. Post the contents here, it should give us a clue at which step it crashes.

I can add,
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

But I need more instructions on how to "/forceinstall".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
Well looking at your log you still have AVG8 installed.

C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe

You need to uninstall that if you did you still have remnants left and you need to run this tool - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

Even if you didn't uninstall AVG8 you should run this tool after you uninstall it using add remove programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

poulabas

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »
Dear DavidR, The log you saw from hijackthis was done immediately after AVG was installed.
I went for avg since avast does not install.

Now, I am running without complete antivirus protection.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:15:21 PM »
Sorry other than that I don't see anything on your HJT log, other than not having a firewall that provides outbound protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

poulabas

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 08:41:34 PM »
DavidR, do you have any suggestions to help me get Avast on my new laptop from hell computer?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I have been following it and I'm at a loss as to what to suggest since most of what usually resolve this has been tried.

Are you installing avast from an account with administrator privileges ?

After uninstalling avast using add remove programs - When you ran the avast uninstall utility, did you run it from safe mode ?

That is the only thing that I can think of where there might be remnants of the old installation.

I'm also confused as to how you are actually installing avast as you say it doesn't even make it to the control panel but here it is trying to update ???
<snip>
Tech, I can't get Avast to install following your suggestion. It does not even make it to control panel, so setup.ini only contains those 2 lines:
[DownloadSettings]
FailSafeServer=C:\DOCUME~1\Serge\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a02804
[UpdateSummary]
LastErrorMsg=Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.

Though this was possibly earlier.

I would suggest downloading direct from avast and save it to your hard disk somewhere you can find it again, rather than try to download and install in one action.

When you have it saved to your hard disk you should be able to install from an account with admin privileges or using the run as (right click on the setupeng.exe file) administrator. But I have to admit this is clutching at straws as I haven't come across this before.

poulabas

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
1- Yes, I am using Admin privileges.

2- Yes, I ran the avast uninstall utility from safe mode.

3- Avast was trying to update only when I switched to Avast Pro.

4- I have saved multiple copies of avast that I simply renamed to setupeng-1,-2... before installation was carried out from my hdd.

If you get any more ideas, I am ready to try them.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »
This really is a tough one as all of the usual suspects have been rounded up and the usual options tried.

I don't know if it is possible to install avast from safe mode or not or if it would work, I guess you could try it and see.

Outside of that I feel we need some intervention from one of the Alwil team.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »
But I need more instructions on how to "/forceinstall".
Open a cmd command windows.
Write down the full path of the downloaded setup file, for instance:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\Desktop\Setupeng.exe" /forceinstall
and then click enter.

poulabas

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:14 AM »
Well, I tried with /forceinstall and it did not work as seen in the setup.log.
The install was done with a full removal using awsclear in safe mode rebooting twice in total before installation of Avast.

I will try in safe mode...

poulabas

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »
Guys, thanks. Safe mode did it.
I finally got avast installed through your help. This was done in safe mode. In the log you will see that I did not do a complete uninstall before attempting an installation in safe mode. Because i was getting sick of botting.

So far it has made the system crash twice when program starts scanning memory at first.

But the biggest problem now is that the program fails to install the update downloaded from the net.

It gives the same message "invalid file signature. Setup will terminate".

Tech, I added the line in setup.ini.
[BufferLog]
Enable=1

So, do you have an idea how to go through the update or should I start/follow another thread?

poulabas

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 01:45:36 AM »
Tech, I got SetupDbg.log if you want to take a look at it.