Author Topic: AOL ISSUE  (Read 4128 times)

CheriLSwanson

AOL ISSUE
« on: March 10, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
My co-workers and I just installed Avast today.  Two of us have attempted to access our AOL mail with no success.  Does anyone know why?   If this is going to give me these kind of problems, not so sure I will keep it installed on my computer.  Thanks for your help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AOL ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Well aside from possible issues with AOHell email, if you are using their proprietary email client it doesn't use the standard POP3 email protocol, so can't be scanned by avast.

So we need more information:
What email program are you using ?
What type of email is it, web-based email, e.g. viewed through your browser or an email program ?
Or does your email use SSL, secure encrypted email ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CheriLSwanson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:29:59 PM »
We had McAfee until it expired.  I have not uninstalled McAfee.  Guess I should do so.  Honestly, I am not sure how to answer the questions you are asking as to what type of email, eg. I have.  Could find out I am sure when I get home and have more time to look at it.  I uninstalled Avast and installed AGV and having no problems now whatsoever accessing my AOL, and was also to play Pogo games during lunch break (which I could not do with Avast).  I have very little patience when it comes to these things.  I just want it to work with no hassles.  Not sure if AGV is a good anti-virus, however, my hubby says that is what we have installed on computers at home and one guy I work with has it also. 

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »
Well my self i wont say AVG is a worst anti virus but got many false positive if im not wrong and Avast still got good detection rate + no mush false positive + for pro version = no script (which avg didnt got and Avast! 5 will come soon so its will be amazing with this anti virus and firewall :D) + its got alot scan for find the virus (also Pro is amazing for that too) + Home version for home only = alot feature and not bad scan + Avast got nice forum and support my self i like Avast and everyone on my country or other country recommand or say that got Avast Home or Pro :D

So try to see if its a problem of your firewall or windows security center

If its didnt work that then you should contact the support for they help you mate
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 08:41:54 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:03:42 PM »
We had McAfee until it expired.  I have not uninstalled McAfee.  Guess I should do so. 

That is a big yes, you need to uninstall McAfee, as these are typical of having two resident scanners or remnants conflicting over what they are both trying to protect.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run after you uninstall using add remove programs to ensure any possible remnants are removed. You don't say what McAfee product you hve so here are a few links that may help.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

Honestly, I am not sure how to answer the questions you are asking as to what type of email, eg. I have.  Could find out I am sure when I get home and have more time to look at it. 

That may be immaterial now, removing McAfee resolve any possible conflict.

I uninstalled Avast and installed AGV and having no problems now whatsoever accessing my AOL, and was also to play Pogo games during lunch break (which I could not do with Avast).  I have very little patience when it comes to these things.  I just want it to work with no hassles.  Not sure if AGV is a good anti-virus, however, my hubby says that is what we have installed on computers at home and one guy I work with has it also. 

It would have been nice to have allowed us to help you than immediately skip off to another AV. Personally the free version of avg8 doesn't have the same protection levels (in the hope you will buy the avg8 pro version) as the free version of avast and there have been many avg8 users coming in the other direction (to avast) since its recent update to avg8.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
I have not uninstalled McAfee.
This won't work in anyway... Two antivirus will conflict...

This article provides the steps to remove SecurityCenter from your computer.
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Also for direct download: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
and http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (2007)

Sometimes, McAfee won't be completely removed if, before, you do not uninstall Avast, including the use of its "Uninstall Application" if necessary (www.avast.com/eng/faq-install-uninstall-avast.html).
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
I recently got guy that used AVG and i scanned their pc with avast and avast find alot trojan that avg didnt see it :O

CheriLSwanson

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Would the McAfee I had installed have been conflicting with Avast if the McAfee was no longer active?  It was not uninstalled (it is now) when I installed Avast,  but had expired.  As to your comment of me "skipping" off to another av software, let me say I do appreciate your advice and any help, however, based on advice given to me after I posted, I thought I would try the AVG.  Hey, it is so easy to install and uninstall these so I will "skip" if necessary to find something that doesn't require me going thru a long process to get it to work with what I need.  When I installed AVG I had absolutely no problem logging onto AOhell and my pogo games.  

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
My self mate Mcafee isnt good for anti virus or firewall i think i would out avg and your mcafee and add Avast for got a better protection and its better to dont use 2 anti virus or more because they will kill a virus and they will make many error and blue screen in the end because the two want to kill the virus which its can make a several problem like i say :)

If your mcafee have firewall then if u want another firewall we can suggest you a better like Online Armor Free

I actually made a kit my self by that and i think its sound good (Avast,Online Armor,WOT,Threat Fire,Windows Defender) let me know your opinion about it :D

Mr.Agent

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Sry for double post but i have mcafee on my old pc and its slowed it and i had many trojan which avast can catch its same for AVG so i would go and trust Avast !!!!

My old pc is in garbage so that what mcafee do lol which if i had avast on it he was not on garbage but i didnt care of it anymore he was so cheap which i got a way way way better lol and i used avast on this pc for several times and never had problem with my pc.

If you got kid or you didnt trust where you surf i think the way to go is Avast because most kid or ppl will go on a cheat,hack,etc web and i think Avast is also good on this so i highly recommand to my friend this anti virus for all the way and i hope ALWIL will continue this because they do alot effort and many thing which my self its hard to make a anti virus or a thing. So go ALWIL let us to bring in the good labyrinth we all love you :D

Mr.Agent

Sry if i alway say thank you to you ALWIL but well when we are fan of a anti virus its stricly cool because you do alot job for the ppl and i think all appreciate that thing you do.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:41:16 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »
Would the McAfee I had installed have been conflicting with Avast if the McAfee was no longer active?  It was not uninstalled (it is now) when I installed Avast,  but had expired.  As to your comment of me "skipping" off to another av software, let me say I do appreciate your advice and any help, however, based on advice given to me after I posted, I thought I would try the AVG.  Hey, it is so easy to install and uninstall these so I will "skip" if necessary to find something that doesn't require me going thru a long process to get it to work with what I need.  When I installed AVG I had absolutely no problem logging onto AOhell and my pogo games.  

The problem is that even when disabled Resident AVs load low level drivers and it is these which most frequently are the cause of a conflict.

The latest version of avg8 also comes with its issues of remnants even after an uninstall - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

There have been a couple of posts on problems connecting to pogo, but I really don't know if that is a similar conflict problem and my knowledge of pogo is zero, so I don't know who you connect to it and how it runs the games. It may be that they are somehow streamed through the http port and with avast monitoring that it would be expecting standard http protocol. That however, is speculation on my part as I don't know how pogo works.

Some firewalls have a privacy function which when the web shield localhost proxy is added to the equation. The thing is that avast isn't a firewall and as such doesn't block, but scans content and alerts to infection, which is one of the reasons for the questions about your firewall ?

You could try Terminating the web shield if you can't logon to pogo and see if that breaks the conflict and we can try something else for a more permanent solution without terminating the web shield.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:08:43 PM »
I do not want to make any unwarranted assumptions - but from the comments above ("co-workers and I" ... "lunch breaks") then it appears, at least, that you are installing avast (and AVG) and apparently the free versions on computers intended primarily for business purposes.

Just a reminder that it is only appropriate to install the avast free edition on computers entirely devoted to personal use. I believe that the same condition applies to the AVG free edition as well.

CheriLSwanson

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Alan, for your information, we were instructed by a company supervisor to install the Avast and it was not a free version.  Our financial manager uses AOL email for his business email and wants to continue using it.  As far as my usage of AOL at work, I can check emails at home.  I was trying to help our financial manager with AVAST issues.  Another manager in the office said he refuses to use Avast because of problems he has had and also is using AVG. 

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
For whatever it is worth, I've had the avast! Home Edition running on my Windows 98SE computer for a little over a year.  avast! has always worked great with my AOL 9.0 Security Edition.  And that includes my AOL E-mail.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

CheriLSwanson

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
Thanks Chim!  I do not understand why it would not work for my AOL or the other guy's AOL here at work.  AOL would come up but only the first few lines of the script could be read and we could not log into our mail at all.