Author Topic: Question about how Avast scanning works  (Read 1561 times)

RobRem

Question about how Avast scanning works
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
hello,
 I have been using Avast for some time now , and I have had good luck with it. I am a bit unclear on the aspect of scanning. I know with other antivirus programs, e.g. Norton, the user will set up a dedicated time to run a complete system scan (say Friday night at 8pm). My understanding is that Avast is constantly scanning files (that is why the blue ball with the white 'a' spins) as I use the computer. if this is the case, I don't see the need to scan. Is it true? If not, how often is a 'full system scan' recommended?

Thank you,
Robert R.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Question about how Avast scanning works
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »
With the number of resident providers running this on-demand scan is less crucial, but I still run it manually one per week (as part of my regular system maintenance), on Standard sensitivity and without archives. For me I feel that is enough, others suggest monthly and a thorough sensitivity and with archives, personally I feel this is too long.

Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security